Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals. Its been a while since I posted. I had recently gotten my hybrid out of storage due to the soaring gas prices again.

I was driving southbound on the interstand and traffic was coming to a stop. I looked up and here came a lady who obviously wasn't going ot stop.

WHAM!

She rear-ends me. I rear end the car in front of me, and that car rear ends a van.

Its amazing how little visible damage is done to my insight. All of the other vehicles had hanging parts, etc.

My passenger door clicks a little when opening it, and you can tell the entire bumper is sagged an inch and to the left.

Car is driveable though. Its a 2000 insight with about 100K on her.

My concern is a clicking noise now coming from the driver front wheel. Probably from me holding the brakes down while being hit.

Also IMA light is now coming on.

With the passenger door being partially jammed and the bumper and stuff shoved to the left I wonder if she hasn't totalled my baby. Even though tis drivable.

My question is this. How much do the replacemnt charging systems in the wheel cost.??

She's going to have to have a new bumper on both ends for sure. The wheel brake and whatever is clicking in the front brake system will have to be fixed. And I'm guess something shorted out, or blew in the IMA system. It won't charge, etc.

All that is probably gonna cost more than she's worth. :( sad day.

I had my seat belt on, bags didn't blow. The cop was amazed. Because everyone elses ride looked bad, and I took the worst hit.

Anyway what do you think? Totaled?

·
Registered
338 Posts
pics would help.....

I got hit in the back and it was totally driveable.....
And the repairs where $1000 from totalled.

Point: you'll never know without an estimate, or four....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HMM

. There is not much visible outside damage to photo!

1) IMa light is coming on
2) she's not charging
3) front driver wheel clicking
4) Front Bumper all scuffed up, chipped
5) Rear Bumper all scuffed up chipped
6) Front bumper sagged and to the left
7) passenger door jammed, so I'm assuming entire front end is jammed a tad to the left, though on the surface all looks okay.

Car drives okay.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
kentuckyheavensent said:
Hey guys/gals. Its been a while since I posted. I had recently gotten my hybrid out of storage due to the soaring gas prices again.

My question is this. How much do the replacemnt charging systems in the wheel cost.??

And I'm guess something shorted out, or blew in the IMA system. It won't charge, etc.

Anyway what do you think? Totaled?

Given your damage description storage was probably the primary contributing factor to your battery failure. But pulling the IMA code and physical inspection is the only way to tell for sure. IF it is an IMA battery code of death _and_ you don't get totaled (doesn't read like you will) then the IMA batteries are covered 10/150. See:

Sticky: US IMA warranty 10 year extension UPDATED to all 50 states!
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=4796

There are no IMA components "in the wheel."

Seems you have some body repair expereince already :?:

My Lil Red UFO Versus Semi Hit and Run
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=2139

In any case an in person inspection is required.

Good luck :!: :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep

Oh yeah I have some experience LOL. My poor lil insight.

Still runs good though, and doesn't look bad at all. I'm surprised.

I thought part of the charging system was in the wheel for some reason.

I don't want her to be totalled out, I luv my lil car. Glad I never sold it!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
You have proved first hand how tough these little cars are. The most important thing is that you are OK. Hopefully a good shop can fix the "lil car" up.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You are getting it covered under warranty I hope. It is extended to 150,000.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More

Okay, so I got the quote from the body man. $1848.00 for the damage done by the rear-end.

That's a little over $7000.00 damage from the rear end. Honda said that they wouldn't replace the IMA stuff because its an accident?????

I'm not sure what happened but when she hit me, of course the car died. When we were through with the police I got back in the car and there was this smell like something cooking, and my car started with the 12v starter.

I didn't think much about it, due to the adrenaline, I guess, until I tried to pass someone and it didn't have the umphh.

So something shorted, burned out, etc when she plowed into the rear end.

My worry is now that they'll just say... totaled. :(

I think the NADA on the car low book is 7500.00

(sigh) Guess we'll see!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts