Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase a new Insight 5spair .There is a new 2003 coming in soon and I got a quote of 18284 for the price(great I think)..but. I may nothave themoney in time for that one (waiting for inheritance). Are the 2004s likely to be different or more money?Any advice is appreciated.Thanks in advance zen

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The last offical news I remember was from early September 2002. Honda announced that the Insight was not going to be continued. It was being assembled on the same line as the Civic hybrid and as the Civic hybrid sales filled its production capacity, the Insight would be phased out.

Corrections invited.

Not to worry though the same technology is used in the Civic hybrid so its not going to be obsolete anytime soon.

And maybe the recent jump in fuel prices (and a corresponding peak in sales for the Insight) will buy it a few more years. :)

John K. Bullock
aka. Insigtful Trekker

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
The last offical news I remember was from early September 2002. Honda announced that the Insight was not going to be continued.
Do you have a source? I have never seen this announcement. I have been reading rumors about the cancellation of the Insight as far back as 2001.

I think you're also mistaken about what line produces the Insight and Civic Hybrid. Insight and Civic Hybrid are very dissimilar cars on the whole, although they do have some common parts in the IMA. Even there, the Civic Hybrid IMA is different from that of the Insight. Here's a quote:

"Insights are built in the same labor-intensive assembly facility that turns out the Acura NSX sports car."

http://archive.salon.com/business/featu ... 15/hybrid/

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't think that Honda has every "officially" announced anything concerning the Insight's future beyond the 2003 model year. And Tim Maddox is right, the Insight is built in Japan at Honda's Tochigi facility I believe, along with the Acura NSX and the Honda S2000 (the Insight actually has the same steering wheel as the S2000 I've been told).

I think speculation is that 2003 is the final model year for the Insight, and Honda hasn't done anything to stiffle rumors to that effect. Considering that it is estimated Honda loses something on the order of $3,000 to $5,000 on each Insight sold it would seem that the car's future is limited at best.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Tim Maddux said:
http://archive.salon.com/business/featu ... 15/hybrid/[/url]
It's also the same assembly line as the S2000, since they share more body/chassis technology than either does with the Civic. The main difference is that the Civic uses conventional steel unibody construction, while the Insight has extruded aluminum frame members joined by cast aluminum junction pieces reinforcing stamped aluminum sheet metal, with plastic non-structural, cosmetic/aerodynamic parts. Civics are made all over the world. Insights are made only in Japan, in the only assembly line they have tooled up for all this specialized aluminum work.

You can't use conventional welding techniques on aluminum because if you heat aluminum up enough to melt it, the resulting oxide works as an anti-welding agent. The same is true for stainless steel. You have to use an inert gas envelope surrounding electric arc-welding to weld aluminum. My step-father was a welder with certification at what was called "heli-arc" welding, even though they had replaced helium with argon by then. Maybe "heliarc" is easier to say than "argonarc"?

Oh well.

Will M

·
Registered
52 Posts
While I have not read anything "official" from Honda on the lack of production on a 2004 Insight model, I have also heard from two different Honda dealerships that they do not beleive there will be a 2004 model of the Insight. They stated both the same theory: The Insight was a test-of-concept production car and they do lose $8000 (thats what they both said) on each model they make. <shrug>

I wish they'd keep making them, how many total are out there now? Like 10,000 in 3 yrs? Not enough for spare parts and if I buy another one, it would be a 2003 and I hear 5 Speed 2003s are scarce.

Michael

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Sorry about my late reply

I wrote:

"The last offical news I remember was from early September 2002. Honda announced that the Insight was not going to be continued."

Apparently my bad. I can't find anything "official" However, I read the entire archive of one of the Yahoo Insight groups last fall and believe there was a current thread on the topic.

Upon deeper reflection I remember it was a news article quoting some VP @ American Honda on his opinions in regard to the Insight's future or Honda's direction for hybrid technology. I specifically remember it referencing that future plans for hybrid technology was for a performance application, not specifically geared to economy. And that current hybrid sales had been low, inferring the demise of the Insight.

John K. Bullock
aka. Insightful Trekker

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discontinued?! not likely

I've been hunting for news on this subject since i bought mine back in late 2001. Considering how many American companies are getting on the band wagon I don't see it as being likely they will discontinue the project until the American companies are in full swing.

As for spare parts honda has always been good to me. I'm sure we'd have to order the parts special like i do my oil filter and other maintance stuff.

As for the earlier posting from this forum.

1. i think its funny that American car companies put more into design then function. Yet American cars are still ugly as hell.

2. I wouldn't believe a car dealers opinion on what the company is losing when they produce the car. Don't forget they get major grants and respect from donors. So what they lose on the car they get back in other areas.

I'll bet Insight Trekker was reading an Opinions article online, Those can get mixed in with regular news articles.

Honda won't make any changes to the insight in my opinion unless required by law and safety standards. re-tooling is too costly/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts