Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We are currently shopping for a used Insight in the Los Angeles/Southern California area. I'm avidly reading everything I can find and learning more about them, but one thing I haven't been able to get clear about is how the warranty works.

We will most likely be buying from a private party but I'm concerned/curious about if and how the manufacturer's warranty is transferred. I know that with Porsche, BMW, Audi that the original *MFG* warranty is 50K miles or 4 years and is transferred to any new owners whethere they purchase from a private party or a dealer.

I've seen lots of references here to Honda's extending the Insight's warranty on the battery and the IMA (am I getting that right? ;-)) to 150K miles.

I guess in a nutshell can anyone tell me, or point me to a source that explains the Honda Insight warranty policy in full?

Thanks in advance.... looking forward to actually becoming part of the community at some point soon.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I sold my last Insight to a friend 2 years ago. Before selling it I asked the Honda dealer if the warranty would transfer, and he said yes. Then a year later the car had some warranty work done. Honda did indeed honor the warranty even though the owner had changed.

James

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is a link to the thread that discusses the IMA warranty extension:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=4796

What you can do before buying an Insight is take the VIN and call up your local Honda dealership. They will be able to input the VIN for you and tell you if the car needs to have the warranty work completed or not. Additionally, it does not matter if you are the original owner or not - the warranty is good for 10 years or 150k miles (from the car's first purchase date, of course). :)

Also, whatever warranty the car originally came with is also honored, even if you are not the first owner. That's always been my experience with Hondas. I think their standard warranty is 3 years/30,000 miles (also from the first date the car was purchased by the original owner).

Hope that helps! ^_^

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
The only other point I can add is that any cars warranty could have been canceled by the manufacturer for various different reasons. The most common by far is from being "totaled" in an accident.

Having the VIN checked at the approprate dealership through the manufacturer's database is an easy way to verify its still in force. (not canceled)

HTH! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts