Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a used Insight. I have been looking around on the internet at autotrader.com and autos.msn.com.

I am figuring out that I will have to travel a few hundered miles to make this purchase, but thats no big deal.

My challange is what to look for when shopping around. I have a budget of $15,000. That will need to included airfare to the pickup location.

So what does one look for when looking at used Insights. This morning I found a 2000 STD with 25000 miles on it for $10,025. I also for a 2001 CVT with 67000 miles on it for $8500. Is mileage a concern when looking at the Insight?

Just for everyones information, I will be using the car as a daily driver. I live in Fort Worth and work in Dallas, so my commute round trip is about 70 miles, most of it freeway. The drive in is a stead 65-75 and the drive home can be stop and go. Right now I have a 2001 Chevy Tracker and spend about 30 bucks week in gas (20 - 23 mpg).

Also, how hard is it for a DIYer to change the IMA batteries, and whats the cost? Has anyone done this yet?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to joining the world of Insight owners within two months.

Brad

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Bmconway:

___There is a ton posted in this forum about purchasing used Insight’s. Just enjoy the reads of those that purchased used before you as a starter. Arizona Rick is a great resource given his family is in the car business and speaks frequently about auction pricing and what to look for as far as VIN’s in all the right places are concerned.

___You should also consider using KBB.com, Cars.com - Black Book, and Edmunds for a whole slew of TIV “Trade in Value”, PP “Private Party”, and Retail pricing given the mileage, condition, and options of the target Insight in question. I would check its history using Car Fax as well just in case … After you have found the Insight you like and figured out what the vehicle is ~ worth, make an offer. If you can find said vehicle from a Honda dealer, it will more then likely be certified with an extended warranty (7/100 on the mechanicals) and usually given a very thorough once over.

___I picked up my own Honda certified Insight 5-speed w/ Air 3 months ago w/ 28,421miles on the odometer. This was from a Honda dealer in Sioux Fall, SD which after said Bus Trip, was a rather nice and uneventful 550 mile ride home. I paid $10K and it came w/ new tires, a 30,000 mile check and all fluid replacements performed, and even an extended 4 yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty along with the 7/100 mechanical.

___As for batteries, if you purchase an Insight w/ low miles and a relatively high lmpg (mine was at 80.2 when purchased), you really shouldn’t worry about replacing a battery pack. If you did, the automobile certainly isn’t worth anything near even “TIV” given the expense of the pack.

___Good Luck with the hunt.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3vdl2rwn][email protected][/email:3vdl2rwn]

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
bmconway said:
Is mileage a concern when looking at the Insight?
IMO not more than any other Honda. Look at the lifetime mpg display, which will give you a fair indication of whether the car saw mostly highway or city driving, or how hard it was driven.

Also, how hard is it for a DIYer to change the IMA batteries, and whats the cost? Has anyone done this yet?
The batteries are hidden in the back inside the IPU compartment, a large container of shiny sheet metal with a big sign on it that says in bold letters "You will be killed" if you try to open it up. I don't know of anyone that has replaced their batteries out of warranty (all IMA components have an 8 year / 80k mile warranty) and don't know of anyone who has done it themselves.

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... ttery.html

The cost is speculated to be on the order of $1k-$3k.

Good luck with your search,

·
Registered
453 Posts
Take your time. I've seen some killer deals on Insights for sale on Ebay.

Look at the LMPG. But also keep in mind it can/could be reset then driven to show a high LMPG.

Try and get one that has service records. The engine could have been wore out if the oil type was wrongly used.

Try and test drive the car before you purchase it. For at least 30 miles. Try and get the car in lean burn to see how it acts.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
If you can put enough miles on it at a different mpg than the lifetime, then you can check if the lifetime is really lifetime.

You figure that if they reset it to try to sell it, then it probably doesn't have many miles under its belt, and if you drive at least 20 miles or so at a high or low mpg, then it should impact the lmpg and you can back calculate.

If lmpg says 55.0, and it has 20,000 miles on it then adding another 20 miles at something significantly different won't change it. If they reset it for the sale, then likely they did it within a couple hundred miles of when you are driving it, and 20 miles at 90 mpg or 20 miles at 30 mpg or whatever will impact it.

I got mine from a Dodge dealer who had it from a trade-in, and they let me and a friend take off in it alone for as long as we wanted so we had plenty of time to play and check everything out off on our own. See if they will let you do the same, if it is a dealer. If a private seller (my girlfriend's came from a private seller) try to ask for some period during which you can return it if there is a significant problem. I defined that as any aggregate repair figure of over $500. The owners were as great as their car, so there were no problems, but it was nice to know that we had it written into the contract in case something came up.

For well within your budget of $15,000 you should get an excellent condition, low mileage car, well cared for and with no defects! You should be able to find a 2001 still under the factory warranty for that budget (or a newer one) and then have some piece of mind and the opportunity to extend it through Honda directly if you want.

31 Posts
If you have a $15K budget, I would highly recommend buying brand new Insight. It will only cost you a few thousand $$ more, probably only add $100 to your monthly payment if you don't have a down payment.

You'll have a brand new car, no scratches, new car smell, and no previous owners :)

I bought a brand new Insight to help support our cause (I say our because, even though I don't have an Insight anymore, I still have an affinity for them and support them) by helping out production #'s. If no one bought new, we wouldn't have any cars, and the Insight could use all the help it can get in that category. Seriously, theres only like a few hundred of these being sold a month, thats horrible.

Like I said, if you really want to help the cause any, buy new. With a $15K budget, you can go up a few thousand dollars and feel a lot better about your car.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I agree with a new purchase. Try and find a last year model left over. Or one that only has a few miles on it! Be patient.

I got my 2000 in 2001 for 16500- out the door for 18xxx with the extended warranty.

Good luck

·
Registered
652 Posts
They all have reserves so they want go too cheap. Also remember the highest sales month was May of 01 as I recall when gas prices were high. They sold around 800 or 900 insights that month (nearly 10% of the total sales for 4 years). Have fun, RIck

·
Registered
89 Posts
May '01 sales

Rick, I don't believe gas prices had anything whatsoever to do with Insight sales back in May '01, just like they don't seem to matter to current Insight sales, which were just 85 units last month, with even higher prices than May '01. It was in 5/01 that Honda finally released their first huge batch of CVT Insights to Honda dealers in the U.S. The cars were delayed from their originally-planned release date, and many customers were waiting a while. Yes, this did correlate with high gas prices, and this is what the journalists were suspecting as the reason for the higher sales that month. They probably weren't aware of the CVT model delay and huge first dump that took place that month.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That new blue one on ebay that ended with $16,100 had a $18.9 reserve. BUT the dealer would put A/C in it for that price out the door (no tax/license). I would have bought it, but found blue, A/C, Manual for 18.7 (+t/l). So considering that I live in So Cal, I got the 'local' one for about $500 less considering ticket to NM and trip home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts