Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. this is my first posting. great to be here. i was wondering if could get some advice as i'm considering purchasing an insight in the next day or two? the insight i'm looking at is a 2003 with 36,000 miles. it's also a "honda certified pre-owned vehicle." should i be concerned with the mileage? and is there anything specific to the insight i should consider when buying? thanks. :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's a plus that it is Honda Certified. I like to look at the Lifetime miles per gallon (LMPG) of the vehicle. A high LMPG tells me the previous owner was serious about his endeavors with the Insight and probably took above average care of the car.

Just my 2-cents

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. i appreciate you taking the time to add your "two cents." pardon my ignorance, but how does one check the LMPG on the insight? is there a guage on the dash? thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Hi Bix,

how to check lmpg:
turn on ignition
look at FCD (fuel consumprion display, the green stuff below the speedometer) If there is an icon that looks like a double arrow, puch the "FCD button on the far left of the dasboard.
Push the "trip" button on the instrument cluster until it doesn't say either "trip A" or "trip B". That's lifetime miles on the right and mpg on the left.

Do keep in mind though that it is possible to reset the lifetime mpg display and there is no way to know if this has been done.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It's a plus that it is Honda Certified.
... look at the Lifetime miles per gallon ...
I for one agree and as for the LTMG, that it can be changed is true but have a look at it anyway - it may not have been changed.

Also, look for the "little things"; i.e., was the previous owner a smoker? Start the radio and see what "music" channels were selected - rock and roll? Hard core "drug culture music" or classical. These will tell you something about the previous owner(s) as well.

Is there a written warranty coming with the "Honda Certified" vehicle? Whatever the salesman tells you, if it's of interest to you, confirm it in WRITING. If he/she/they won't, don't buy but again, if it's Honda Certified odds are there may be a good deal (price???) there for you.

Hope this helps.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts