Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a ton of threads by people like me looking for information on buying an Insight, and I have read a number of them. My questions though are a little tailored, so I figured a thread couldn't hurt, much.

Background is I'm a college student, so my budget is limited. Despite a limited budget, around $6000, I'm trying to get a very fuel efficient car. I've looked into old Prius's, Civic Hybrids, and mostly Insights. The problem I'm having is that there's almost no Insights for sale where I live. I've been watching for a few months now, and the one time I saw one I was to slow at getting to it. Because of this I've decided to look out of state.

What I'm really wondering is this. Is it possible to find a Inisght, preferably CVT, for about $6000 that is in decent aesthetic condition without insane mileage (Under about 80k)?

Also, is there any specific things I should ask about the car, or just out of state car buying advice, since I most likely wouldn't be able to see it without a fairly long trip?

Thanks a lot for any help! :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
probably hard to find an insight for $6k at the mileage you are looking for.

for $6k start looking in the 100k-120k range.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yup, $6k is really cheap for a low milage Insight. It's probably worth it to continue to look for a low milage one and just find a bit more money as this allows you to get in way under warrenty (one less thing to worry about).

About the second half of your question, there are many, many posts here about what to look for when buying an Insight. Take a look around. Personally, I believe the lifetime fuel milage would say the most (so long as it hasn't been reset.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses. They've given me a few more questions for either of you, and others to come by this thread.

Say I found a $6k or under Insight with about 120k miles. Is it worth it in decent condition based on how long insights tend to drive? Or would it be more adventageous to wait for more cash for a newer Insight?

Seeing as I don't see myself having more money for a few months I would need a temporary transportation method. Any ideas that aren't expensive as well?

Again, thanks for any help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
make sure you get a CARFAX... I bought mine from out of state, and took the word of the guy selling it that there were no accidents, but I later found out that there was an minor accident while under the owner of the guy I bought it from, and he got it repaired, painted etc.. and sold it right after to me saying its in excellent condition, no accidents, liar.. Tried calling him later to ask about this, he would never answer the phone, and its hard to get a hold of a person out of state. Dont make the same mistake I did.

Dont get ripped off!

by the way, try crazedlist.org so u can search other neighbor state's craigslist's

·
Registered
232 Posts
Only problamatic experience I have ever had buying a car out of state is when it has a rebuilt title. There are hoops to jump through to register out of state rebuilt titles in your home state, which may vary stae to state but seem to be pretty universal these days. No matter what, your home state will likely want to do a salvage inspection for stolen parts.

As far as 6000 goes, a CVT with that mileage would be a good deal at 7000, so keep that in mind if you see one under 100k and under 7000 list. There might be a reason its so cheap.

One piece of advice to finding a good deal on a hybrid, look for cars in rural areas. Not to be biased, as I come from a rural area myself, but many "country folk" dont seem to keen on hybrids, especially used ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
by the way, try crazedlist.org so u can search other neighbor state's craigslist's
That helped a lot. It may have actually found a match. 2004 Insight with 104k, batteries replaced 1500 miles ago, new tranny, and a clean title.

Sounds a little to good to be true, but maybe it's just an awesome deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wooo! :D

Got an '04 CVT with about 102k on it! Just had a new tranny and batteries from Honda under warranty as well. Managed 53 MPG on the 200 mile trip home. :)

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Congrats! Awesome! Whatdya pay?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats! Awesome! Whatdya pay?
Thanks! We payed just over $6k for it. Got an amazing deal for sure!

We actually looked at two on the trip, an '01 from a Honda dealership, and the '04. The '01 just didn't compare to how well the '04 was kept.

Now to add some sound dampening to quite down the ride. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts