Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to rationalize over the life of the car how many ima batteries I'm gonna have to buy.....seems like buying a corolla or civic makes better sense? Am I missing something? I wanna believe.

·
Registered
489 Posts
That depends on how you would describe the "life of the car."

If you're the kind who thinks that a car is good for about 100,000 miles, you will probrably never have to buy a replacement battery. If you're the kind that drives a car to 500,000, you may have to replace the battery a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
One might also hope that in 8 years, there will be a lot of hybrid Hondas of various types out there, and the batteries will be cheaper...

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just spent some time looking through some of the posts on new batteries and can't seem to find one I thought I read not too long ago. It mentioned something about a new type of battery?? Maybe??
I don't see why we can't make up our own battery pack (outside of warranty of course) with better technology batteries as long as they charge the same way as the originals.
It seems as if enough of the D cells were purchased they should be cheaper and with a little care in putting the pack together, I don't see why it couldn't be done.
Any thoughts? Maybe it's my ignorance of how it all works, but just because I have done something doesn't mean I can't....
Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
489 Posts
The cells used in the IMA packs aren't your run of the mill D cells - these ones can cough up a lot more current on demand.

In theory, making your own battery pack, or replacing individual cells in the existing pack, SHOULD be possible. However, to my knowledge, noone has actually tried it yet.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Very few packs have failed and most have been covered by warranty or been subsidised somewhat by Honda. Rebuilding the battery pack should not be any more difficult than say a full brake job or relacing the top end of an engine with a rebuilt one. It is just that no body is really doing it yet. It certainly is a lot cleaner work! Right now there is a serious shortage of batteries for new hybrids due to the excetional demand. This will surely change qs the number of hybrids increases. Testing individual cells is time consuming because there are so many in a pack but it isn't rocket science. Someone will set up a franchise like mister muffler. You'll see. Speedy power pack.....? :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts