Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Pennsylvania Honda dealers (at least the ones I contacted, some thirteen or fourteen in number) weren't interested in selling the Insight, I purchased a new one "out of state" and what follows are some tips which may be of interest to those of you considering the purchase of one of these really 21st Century motor vehicles or for that matter, any other:

.1. When shopping for my Insight, experience has shown me that it IS indeed well worth your while to shop around, to buy outside of Pennsylvania as the the purchase price (and accordingly the saving on the sale tax) can prove to be substantial.

.2. NO, you do NOT have to pay a higher sales tax; i.e., NY is 8%. If you buy it in NY you do not have to pay the higher sales tax there but you do have to pay the 6% PA sales tax when you register it in Pennsylvania.

.3. PennDOT has a toll free 800 number where you can get specific dollar amounts of and a list of all fees involved in registering your Insight in Pennsylvania; sales tax, tag, registeration, etc. Once "armed" with this information you may not fall victim to the "handlling" fee(s) of $100 or more which a car dealer/salesman may charge you - over and above these PennDOT/PA costs.

.4. The $500 rebate in Pennsylvania for these Insights is an unknown at PennDOT.

.5. If you're after that $500 PA rebate, contact PA DEP or contact the office of your PA House of Representatives office and have them send you the paperwork - this should be FREE to you.

.6. The $500 PA rebate will NOT apply to you if you purchase the car out of state; i.e., not in Pennsylvania

.7. The $6,500 federal tax deduction may very well apply to you.

.8. You can save about forty some dollars when applying to register your out-of-state car in Pennsylvania if you simply swap the license tag from your old PA registered vehicle to the new one; as opposed to buying a new PA license tag.

Hope this helps ...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Where can I get more information on possible federal tax deductions for hybrid vehicle fuel savings?
2006 MT Insight (the Power Puff)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Information regarding the Federal Tax breaks I made mention of are available via the IRS but be warned in advance, not all of the individuals who are there to help "customers" know what the're talking about.

If you use an accountant (i.e., CPA) or the like, ask him/her as well.

The last I heard the tax breaks are there due to the fuel efficiency of these little cars.

Hope this helps

Fred

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have said that wrong but I think you know what I mean; it's because of the fuel efficiency/savings these little cars are capable of. You're right of course, it's the purchase of the car but these tax breaks are there because of the fuel efficiencies offered by these Insights.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding(s)

Fred

1 - 5 of 5 Posts