Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lil' 2004 CVT turtle has been wonderful and is now up to 170k miles, getting around 54 mpg..

The only issue with the engine seems to be a buzzing/popcorn popping sound when I accelerate up hills here in Portland, OR. It seems to be coming from behind the glove compartment area... I thought maybe it was a spark plug issue... I'm thinking of sending it in to the dealership, since I haven't found a Insight mechanic in Portland. Any ideas what the buzzing sound might be?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cold -15 degrees. Drove 22 miles- turned right a day transmission went to neutral? ? Help?? Can the CAT

ever be fixed? What a morning ?

·
Registered
922 Posts
My lil' 2004 CVT turtle has been wonderful and is now up to 170k miles, getting around 54 mpg..

The only issue with the engine seems to be a buzzing/popcorn popping sound when I accelerate up hills here in Portland, OR. It seems to be coming from behind the glove compartment area... I thought maybe it was a spark plug issue... I'm thinking of sending it in to the dealership, since I haven't found a Insight mechanic in Portland. Any ideas what the buzzing sound might be?
Something in the glove box??

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts

Check the cross bar in the engine compartment that the battery is mounted too.

The CVT car I own had the transmission replaced at a local dealer prior to my purchase and it had a rattling/popping. I found the cross bar in the engine compartment was loose, the one that the battery is mounted too,it was rattling against the firewall, it sounded like it was coming from the dash board. As I tightened it I made sure to pull it forward to make sure it would not continue to hit. Tightened it up, noise gone.

HTH,
Scott

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I take some video today and post it..Definitely not something in the glovebox... =)

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I agree with Willie. Most likely corroded hold downs on one of the cat covers. Mine made the same 'popcorn' or pinging noise under heavy load.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Yep check the heat shield of the catalytic converter.
When the car is cooled down grab the cover and try to manipulate the cover. Shake it, rattle it back and forth. Also check other parts of the exhaust heat shields for looseness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts