Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last weekend I installed a switch so I could bypass the Exterior Air Temperature Sensor in front of the radiator so I could prevent my insight from going to autostop. Works fine but I notice when I turn 'on' the switch or disable the sensor, the climate control turns the fan up high and cranks on the heat for about 5 seconds (presumable because it thinks it's really cold outside) and then settles back down, but keeps the heat running until the sensor is put back into use. I don't mind this heat result, but does anyone think I could be causing any long term problems for myself with this set up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I apologise for prying, but why would you wish to disable the autostop feature?

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your not prying, Psuinsight, it's a good question. There are times I like to occasionally disable the autostop when I am either in heavy Los Angeles stop-and-go traffic or in a continual line of traffic lights. I never stop for more than a second and the engine stops and starts and stops and starts etc. I know after a while the computer will prevent auto-stop but it seems it takes 4-5 times before that happens. I could use the Auto mode on the climate control and prevent autostop, but idling and inching forward in first gear with the AC compressor seems to really lower the idle RPM and seems to lug the engine a bit. I know the engine is made to handle lots of starts and stops but doing it excessively when it's never for more than a second or two seems unnecessary to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts