Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to bypass the AC compressor on my Insight? The compressor is bad and it will take a few days to get a new one in and do the work so I'm hoping there's a way to bypass the system with a shorter belt and different tensioner pulley. Is this possible? I would assume that there is just a grooved pulley that goes in place of the smooth pulley when you dont have A/C. Can anyone tell me if it's that simple?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Yes, you just need the non ac belt. Should be able to get it from any auto parts store, just tell them you don't have ac.

Also, the belt will be on the other side of the tensioner.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Is it possible to bypass the AC compressor on my Insight? The compressor is bad and it will take a few days to get a new one in and do the work so I'm hoping there's a way to bypass the system with a shorter belt and different tensioner pulley. Is this possible? I would assume that there is just a grooved pulley that goes in place of the smooth pulley when you dont have A/C. Can anyone tell me if it's that simple?
My compressor is making funky noises whenever I ask it to do anything- defrost or A/C cooling but not otherwise. I assume this means my compressor is on its way out as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Belt and tensioner on its way :) Thanks.

And that sucks. What kind of noises?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Difficult to describe- instead of a typical, I hear it because it's working sound, it's more like it's pissed off about being tasked kind of a sound. I'll have to capture it on video. I'd really like to not have it totally fail after 100-plus degree Oklahoma summer kicks in. Not terribly happy about how much replacement AC compressors cost but oh well. Part of the package of having an "old" car I suppose.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Difficult to describe- instead of a typical, I hear it because it's working sound, it's more like it's pissed off about being tasked kind of a sound. I'll have to capture it on video. I'd really like to not have it totally fail after 100-plus degree Oklahoma summer kicks in. Not terribly happy about how much replacement AC compressors cost but oh well. Part of the package of having an "old" car I suppose.
Yeah, but the original compressor going 200k miles isn't all that bad. And at least you're not paying on your car :D As expensive as compressors can be it's only usually a couple months car payments. I try and go for used or cheaper ones though.

Mine's got 211k on it and the bearing is shot, but that's pretty decent longevity.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Yeah, but the original compressor going 200k miles isn't all that bad. And at least you're not paying on your car :D As expensive as compressors can be it's only usually a couple months car payments. I try and go for used or cheaper ones though.

Mine's got 211k on it and the bearing is shot, but that's pretty decent longevity.
Totally agreed. I did a search on RockAuto and found a compressor for $326 + $25 core charge. Have you had any luck finding one for less?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Totally agreed. I did a search on RockAuto and found a compressor for $326 + $25 core charge. Have you had any luck finding one for less?
Sorry, forgot to check back on this. I just get them used or reman'd. Used is usually cheaper if you can find one with low enough miles.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
My replacement AC compressor pulley/clutch kit arrived today. I figured this would have been a fairly straightforward process. I thought I had all the parts and tools on hand. Wrong.

First sign of trouble, the belt tensioner would NOT budge. That bolt is pretty must seized permanently and the head is so small that you can't apply much torque before it just rounds over. I just loosened the idler pulley bolt instead and that relieved the belt tension.

The compressor pulley bearings were so bad I had to capture it on video:

https://youtu.be/gZGkyPxjFv4

So, I have a new compressor on the way because the new pulley won't seat. The snap ring boss was destroyed from removing the old pulley. I don't think it was avoidable, but I don't suppose it matters at this point. I'm going to get the shorter non/AC belt to bypass the compressor until the replacement arrives.

Fun stuff...

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The part number for the belt is k050350. The other part number on the belt is 5pk891. Another set of numbers is 15718mx98. The width of the belt is 11/16". The outside circumference is 35-5/8" or 905mm. The inside circumference is 35-1/8" or 891mm.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Five speed Insightowner are you still running that belt you mentioned how’s it doing? And thanks for the information

1 - 13 of 13 Posts