Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife makes wedding cakes...

Some times we find ourselves using the large flat hatch area in my insight to transport them... to care for the icing and cakes with filling the air conditioning is usually set to max and started 2 or 3 minutes before the cake is put in the car... I know this is painful to most insight owners when things like this need done ... they kill fuel economy ...

Sun light is also an issue which can fade colors...

Window tinting seems to be an idea to help but I have gotten very conflicting, information about what is legal and the best ways to do it....

just wondering if anyone has any tips for cake transport in the insight to protect the cake from sunlight / heat / easy transport ...ect.....

thanks for any insights
ian

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Iam Ian,

Oh my...what a question! Certainly you are fortunate that your wife bakes (when I try a cake mix, my family "casually" mentions that we do have perfectly good Oreos in the pantry :roll:) and of course you are both fortunate to have an Insight.

If you run the AC in econ it should autostop which would help FE once you are on the road. Rather than pre-chilling the car, maybe you could partially freeze the frosted cake beforehand. Does sunlight fade frosting?! This is way beyond my meager baking experience! Presumably putting the cake in a box would keep sunlight off . The storage well in the back has an insulated cover that might hold a medium cake.

There are many posts regarding window tinting. Try the forum Search. I'm currently looking at the Llumar Platinum Plus 35 and the FormulaOne Premier series window tints http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=2781

In general the car should be "batter off" as far as heat reduction, with a good quality tint. I believe the primary reason is to protect the battery pack, but no reason it could not also protect your cakes :D

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Since the use of the IMA charge and discharge warms up the battery, you might also try to reduce IMA assist and regen when you are with cake.

Sun shade and/or some nice insulation that lets the AC cool air circulate inside underneath the shade in cake area, but keeps the hot sun off, would be nice if it could be supported to stay above the cake top.

Giant toothpicks are probably not wise, but maybe some legs on the side of a big piece of rigid foam would work to make a little insulated shade cavity which would still let AC cool air circulate.

/---------------/
/--------------- / |
==========
| |

I bet the above looks bad! It should look like the little cake protector house. :cry:

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
One other idea, if cake is not too large, is to take out passenger seat and then make the cake house in that area and blow the passenger AC vent into it as well as the two center AC vents. That would keep it like ice, and there would be much less sun on the cake house insulation.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Regardless of the problems, I would definitely get window tinting done. I have found that it substantially reduces radiant heat coming into the car.

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cake Ideas

Tinting is on my list

should help to reduce AC usage even when not transporting Cakes...

The Foam cake box might not be a bad idea.
Only problem i forsee is the larger wedding cakes... one inperticular that she is making will have a thin skin of rolled fondant and a stream / spring theme... biggest problem with this perticular cake is that she tells me she has to transport this one assembled.... I have a few months ... but she said she expects me to transmort it there intact no problems.... I am just trying to figure out some options ahead of time.

Since she and I both go to most of the weddings she makes cakes for... the passenger seat has to stay...

Does anyone know if there is any significant effect to having the AC on Air Recycle instead of in from the outside? I would imagine it would need less cooling but i havn't tested the theory yet.

Thanks for all the ideas and feedback.
:shock:

·
Registered
162 Posts
have you ever seen the special camera mounts that the movie guys use to get rid of virbration? You should get one of those!

Gyroscopically stablalized cake transportation!

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cake Stabalizer

I was never able to find any of the stablizers like that for any reasonable price... I had thought about even trying to make one once... but ended up not... as the more research i did the more complicated and expensive it got with no end in sight.

But yes such a Stabalizer would be Ideal for a Cake Transporter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was kidding... but wow... must be harder than it thought to move a cake!

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bigger cake

small cakes are easy it is when my wife makes a cake to feed 200 or more people at a wedding that the cake gets massive.

then when people want filling it makes it harder becuase now the top cake layer is not attached to the bottom cake layer and a filling is inbetween so curves have to be taken slow.

I don't know if sertain types of light are worse than others but I do know that light fades the colors of the icing .

Most people with wedding cakes like the cute and delicate decorations.... well they are delicate.... and if something happens to the cake you don't have time to spend the hours or in some cases days to remake it.... Some people want two cakes made to have a backup ... now we have to move 2 cakes that each feed 200+ people... thats 400 or more servings of cake.....

I may not be a weight lifter but even a cake to serve 100 gets heavy.

And the best is the outside ones becuase bugs like sweet things like cake but people don't want ants on there wedding cake... plus a filling out in the sun.... that cake will have a short life.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I have a Honda Element I use for work, which with the rear seats out can fit a cake for 475 people as long as it isn't more than about 42 inches high. I wish Honda would make a hybrid Element.

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cake

Since my wife so far only gets 2 or 3 Large 200+ Wedding Cake Orders per year... It is her "Fun" Job... her main job she is a chemist and going for her PHD in Food Science. :)

Since it isn't a regular thing the Insight's large rear area has worked for us... sometimes 2 trips... She hasn't decided if she wants to do the larger scale wedding cake production... So far she says she likes being able to put more time into each cake.

Tinting is the choice of the day for sure... AC Definately will try ECON and see how well it works... May also try to make a Insert for the back hatch area to insulate it more.... and continue to drive VERY carefully.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wedding Cake - a story to tell my grandkids......

I was out-of-work the year I got married, and to save money. I trasported my 3 level wedding cake in my 2000 insight.

I got married in june 29th, 2002 ..... YES, If you recall, this was the summer where, at least on the east coast, it was hitting over 100 in the shade.

I moved the cake from Charlotte, NC to Greensboro, NC (about 130 mile)

I had no problem (melting) with the air cranked-up and with the darkest tint I was able to install in NC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts