Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
My Calculations.....

I have just finished my first tank of Insight petrol and I averaged 46.5 mpg.

If the averages in the messages above looked complicated (it did to me) at least you don't have to do my conversions. My Japanese Insight has been 'chipped' to show miles and mph on the dash. Unfortunately is still shows km/litre on the rest of the display (14km/litre lifetime average).

Therefore I had to take the mileage (327) and divide by the amount of litres it took to fill up (32 - (Sold in the UK in litres at around 79pence per litre)). Then multiply by 4.546 (No. of litres in a UK gallon) to get my mpg figure.

In case you think the mpg figure is poor, I should point out that I do short journeys with cold starts in an urban environment. My tires were at low pressure (29 psi) for three out of four weeks and there were also numerous examples of hard acceleration (showing off!).

I will try and drive more sensibly on this second tank and then carry out my calculations all over again....

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Thanks Randy....that makes my MPG look even worse! I will definitely have to make more of an effort on my second tank of fuel.

By the way, if you enjoy doing UK / US conversions then you could make you and your fellow American drivers feel much better about the price of your petrol by comparing it against mine (79 pence per litre).

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Just for the record I have now completed my second tank of fuel and averaged 52.5 UK mpg or 42 US mpg. An improvement on my last tank but still a long way to go to catch some of you fellow Insighters.

I have my tires on 44psi all round now and am looking to do an oil change soon to ensure the right, clean stuff is in the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.