Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the governator signed AB 2600 into law. This allows 10,000 more HOV stickers to be issued to hybrids in California. I guess with the same rules.

More important to me is that the bill extends the program until 2011. Need to keep the car running another 4+ years I guess. Bought the Insight Jan 2, 2001 and as of today have about 170k miles on it .(new battery pack and control units a few months ago) Four more years, maybe 300k miles. Yikes!

Probably need a new clutch by then.

Regards, Jim
'01 #191

·
Registered
741 Posts
Any why should single-driver hybrids receive special treatment? They're not HOVs. They're not reducing the congestion on the road.

:D

·
Registered
741 Posts
True. But wouldn't 2 people riding in a single insight (or civic or prius)..... be better than two separate insights (civics/priuses)???

IMHO california should be encouraging hybrid-owners to carpool too, not grant exemptions.

:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
True, but I sure like my car-pool lane stickers! Plus, if car-pool lane stickers encourage folks to by Hybrids, that's all good, even if there's only one in the car. Of course, the more the merrier.

Best Regs,
Rick / 2006 CVT

·
Registered
84 Posts
I lift share in my Insight...

And there is no HOV lane in Essex...

Mind you with the Insight being congestion charge exempt it at least means it will hold the value some what I would hope...

In the UK it will effectively save someone £8 per day if they travel into the centre of London. All things to hold the values of Insight higher than the average car + only ~250 cars in Europe... One of the reasons I sold my Focus TDci was the depreciation it was/did incur.

Trying Tesco's 99 Octane in my Insight to see if it gives better performance/FE. So far 67mpg over 40 miles, but I have been trying out the Performance side of the equation. Knock seems better for the higher octane.

·
Registered
23 Posts
HOV access is a huge motivator to drive a clean-air vehicle, for people that would otherwise NOT drive one. Like me, for example.

And the car will also likely be driven as a daily driver - to the supermarket, post office, to dinner, etc. - continuing to keep emissions to a minimum, and keeping California's air as clean as possible. Carpooling is great, but not many people carpool to the dry cleaner. I am continuing my SULEV-level emissions 24/7.

There is something to be said for that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well stated rouxsterre,

In fact, if traffic is moving well (60 mph or above) I don't use the car-pool lanes, even if I can. In LA / Orange County CA the "normal" speed in the car-pool lane is often 75+ and that can really hurt my MPG.

So, for example, going to work in the morning (6:00 AM - 6:45 AM) I never use the car-pool lanes, but on the way home I almost always do (91 or 105 freeway). When I leave work and head for O.C. (405 South) the traffic is usually moving well enough that I don't use the car-pool lane.

Plus, as rouxsterre states, all my surface street driving is still SULEV which is a benefit to anyone (or thing) that breathes.

Best Regs,
Rick / 2006 CVT

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love using the carpool lanes

My problem is, up here in the Bay Area, the lanes are somewhat inconsistent and it's hard to get over to an exit when you in the carpool lane are whizzing by the traffic (there's only one exit I know of on I-80 where I live that is a specially designated carpool-lane exit.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts