Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the pros and cons of using ARCO gas?

Nevermind, I finally found a comprehensive answer to my question by using the right words in a Google search.

For anyone in California, read the article at this link below (click on it). It may save you a lot of money:

http://www.nctimes.com/news/2001/20011223/61014.html

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I avoid using Arco in my airplane because it contains 8% ethanol (grain alcohol) here in WA. Many of the low cost brands are the same. I only use Chevron or Texaco or Shell in the airplane, as it has no alcohol. Just read the pump labels, it will tell you. In my Insight I have never used ethanol either, but page 246 of my owners manual says it's ok up to 10%. Drive on, Billy.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...

That is similar to what I've heard before. But look at the article I posted a link to in the above message. Is it different in California?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Isn't it better to use gas with ethanol in it? I was under the impression that ethanol was cleaner than normal petroleum, so the more "watered down" your gas is, the better?

·
Registered
320 Posts
My limited understanding is that "ethenol enriched" (or dilluted) gasoline generally performs about as well as normal gasoline, though it chemically interacts with certain materials commonly used in fuel lines in cars, damaging those componants. Corn farmers like the idea that you'd use this tweaked gasoline, since corn is used to make it, giving them someone else to sell corn to. It also slightly decreases the use of foreign petrolium.

The important thing is that for a car to burn ethanol, it has to not use the materials that interact with it for any surface that contacts the gasoline. If Honda says you can use up to 10% ethanol, likely they have engineered the materials on the vehicle so you can use ethanol mixed with gas up to the percentage they advertise.

Unfortunately, ethanol is associated with cheap gas, and cheap gas is associated with impure gas poorly handled, resulting in condensation (water) and other impurities that can have a negative effect on the well-being of the engine that burns it.

As P.T. Barnum once said, "You pays you monies and you takes you chances."

·
Registered
91 Posts
Then do not buy gas in Saint Louis or Kansas City Missouri. You can only get a 10% ethanol blend there is no 100% gasoline. I use it anyway when there is a 100% available as I have never had a Fuel problem in my corolla in 130K miles (and counting) and E10 gas is all it ever drank.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Arco

Haven't you experienced the "Arco Ping?" Do yourself a favor, x-nay Arco and the like. Spring for an extra whopping 5 cents a gallon and get gas from a reputable company - at 55mpg, I, for one, can afford it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The only thing you get for the extra money is a different detergent package, and all the gas has sufficient detergents.

Read the links above. It's all coming from the same storage tanks at the same refineries that process for the California market only. Buying other gas is a waste of money, and it certainly can't help pinging.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I used ARCO for years and never had a problem (ping or otherwise.) I now use Texaco- convience is the reason why- and I still see no difference. I wonder if there is a correlation between loyalty to 'name' brands vs. 'no-name' brands and the make up of the community ethnically. Just a thought, not a generalization or ethnic slur, I promise.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Re: Arco

LondonToLA said:
Haven't you experienced the "Arco Ping?" Do yourself a favor, x-nay Arco and the like. Spring for an extra whopping 5 cents a gallon and get gas from a reputable company - at 55mpg, I, for one, can afford it.
Supposedly, the Insight has a ping sensor and it adjusts the mix to get rid of it, so maybe you heard the classic Arco ping in some other car? Info in the Knowledge Base here says that you can use cheap gas in the Insight, but you might get better gas mileage with higher octane.

Sounds like it is one of many mpg factors, and a fairly minor one. Mostly, I skip cheap gas places simply to reduce the likelihood of getting a tank full of condensation water or other contaminants, assuming that cheaper dealers are less careful about good handling of their fuel and more likely to receive something a distributor is unsure about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts