Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there-- I've had my 01 Insight for 5 months now & love it. However, I'm planning a road trip from Santa Rosa CA to Twin Rocks, OR in mid-January & wonder if I'm nuts or not -- mudslides, flooding, snow on Siskiyou Pass summit...
Anyone experienced with the trip & various routes & things to be prepared for?
Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Bonnie Lee! Compared to the weather our Insighters have in the NorthEast and Canada, we may as well be in the tropics here in California, the floods in your area today notwithstanding. I made the trip twice from the SF Peninsula to Washington in January and February this year - no problem, although I did have some snow flurries over the Siskiyous at night. Look carefully at the weather maps and detailed forecasts and plan your trip accordingly. If you're on a fixed schedule, then I'd be worried, as I personally would refuse to even try to put chains onto my Insight - I was told that it's now illegal here to travel over the mountains without having them onboard. Anyway, the passes are usually cleared quite quickly after a storm so if you time it right you should have no problems. I'd suggest going over both Shasta and the Siskiyous during daylight. I use Rain-X on the windshield and super-hosed the underside of the car after returning home. Have a nice trip! JoeS.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Bonnie; Over the years I have travelled that approximate route over 60 times. Generally, it is no problem at all. I-5 over Siskiyou summit is rarely covered with snow or ice; mainly just wet. The road crews keep it well cleared. And, the weather varies greatly depending on whether the passing storm system has mostly warmer air or colder air. The Insight handles great in slick conditions, in my opinion. Just be careful after leaving I-5 toward your destination, if you must go on any smaller side roads. Billy......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Billy & Joe?--
Thanks for the tips! I ended up taking 101 all the way (the elevation was lowest & I loved the many soothing, exhilerating ocean rest stops!) & it was smooth sailing...although there were mudslides before & after I passed by!

Love my Insight even more now. It handled beautifully & I averaged 56mpg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts