Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting in a CALPOD clutch switch - the switch that disables IMA regen/charge and assist (though not background charging). I wanted to double check a couple things first.

-The wiring is simple. There's two wires going to the clutch pedal switch. One is a 5V wire to or from the ECM, the other is a ground. You simply tap into each of these wires and put a switch in between - so that when the switch is closed it connects the two wires. Is that right?

-Alternatively, you could tap into the 5V wire and connect another wire to ground somewhere else, putting the switch in between. Is that right?

-I'll be using an old-school high beam headlight floor/foot switch. I'd like to put an indicator light somewhere so I'll know when the switch is on and off. Can the 5V wire be used for power, to power a light bulb? Could I put a small light bulb in the 5V line so that when the switch is closed the bulb will light? Or would I have to do something else?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just installed the mod. Did it a little different (no lights). I went to Radio shack and bought two pushbutton switches that I mounted on the side of the shifter. I wanted finger tip control. I used an old bicycle speedometer mount to put the switches in a front to back position on the shifter. I also bought two relays. The back pushbutton on the shifter latches in one of the relays with one set of it's contacts. The other set of contacts in that relay is in parallel with the clutch switch. The front pushbutton on the shifter energizes the other relay. Using the normally closed side of one set of it's contacts, it is wired in series with the latching side of the other relay. The other set of contacts in this relay goes in parallel with the brake switch. So, I press the back pushbutton to disable the IMA. It remains disable (due to the latching) until I press the front pushbutton to brake to charge the battery with regen braking, or just a tap to turn back on the IMA if I need assist. I mounted the relays on a removal perf board with connectors so that I can add more mods later. The board is mounted under the dash by the clutch and brake switches. I pulled 12V (for the relays) from the accessory outlet, so that it is only on, when the car is on. Thus the default when no pushbuttons have been pressed is a normal (no mod) Insight. So my wife does not have to worry about the switches, she just gets in and drives. This has been working great for me. - David

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking about putting in a CALPOD clutch switch - the switch that disables IMA regen/charge and assist (though not background charging). I wanted to double check a couple things first.

-The wiring is simple. There's two wires going to the clutch pedal switch....You simply tap into each of these wires and put a switch in between - so that when the switch is closed it connects the two wires. Is that right?....
I did this install. A couple things:

-The wiring IS simple, just like I had asked about.
-The switch DOES disable background charging, at least, the background charging I get when my pack drops below something like 68% SoC. So that's helpful... Maybe it doesn't disable the 'forced charge' that happens when the pack gets really low, such as after a negative recal...

I used a foot switch but didn't mount it yet. It has 3 prongs, one common and 2 lines. You just use the common and one of the lines. Didn't put an indicator light in, but I think I can place a 5 volt bulb in-line on the 5 volt line...

·
Registered
894 Posts

-The wiring is simple. There's two wires going to the clutch pedal switch. One is a 5V wire to or from the ECM, the other is a ground. You simply tap into each of these wires and put a switch in between - so that when the switch is closed it connects the two wires. Is that right?

-Alternatively, you could tap into the 5V wire and connect another wire to ground somewhere else, putting the switch in between. Is that right?

-I'll be using an old-school high beam headlight floor/foot switch. I'd like to put an indicator light somewhere so I'll know when the switch is on and off. Can the 5V wire be used for power, to power a light bulb? Could I put a small light bulb in the 5V line so that when the switch is closed the bulb will light? Or would I have to do something else?
I have an indicator light with my Calpod switch. It's funny. I got the switch itself from Radio Shack. It's an ordinary lit switch with a red LED that turns on when the Calpod clutch disengage is on. I get the power for the LED from a 9V battery. Works great.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple notes:

-The clutch switch messes with autostop. Hard to nail down the exact interference, but it interferes... From what I can tell, it prevents multiple autostops, such as when you're crawling along in stop-and-go traffic. Usually, you come to the first stop, depress the clutch and press the brake and it will autostop, either immediately or once you're fully stopped. Then, if you crawl forward slowly, push in the clutch, push the brake, and then put it in neutral, it will autostop. That last part doesn't happen any longer... Other than that, autostop just seems 'hit-or-miss' at other times - it doesn't always autostop under the 'standard' circumstances - coming to a stop at a light, for example.

-The shift indicator/s don't indicate any longer.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not doing the brake switch, just the clutch switch.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I'm not doing the brake switch, just the clutch switch.
That circuit has nothing to do with the brake switch mod. All that circuit does is turns off your calpod switch when you normally press your brakes, so you dont miss regen opportunities because your calpod switch was on, and as a side effect it resets the calpod switch every time you are coming to a stop so auto-stop doesn't get interfered with.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Oh, gotcha. I think I'd rather stick with the basic setup, because there are times when I don't want any regen...

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success with my clutch switch plus indicator light. I ended up using a different switch - the kind on guitar effects 'stomp boxes'. Works well. I mounted it on a home-made dead pedal/footrest that I placed where those usually go, where the carpet gets all worn out... The old-school high beam switch was too big to fit in a hole that's already located at the dead pedal/footrest spot...

-I used a 5 volt LED, with built in resistor, mounted in the far left breakout panel (1 of the 3 to the left lower of steering wheel).
-Very simple wiring: red wire from the Insight clutch switch goes to the positive leg of the LED, wire from the negative leg goes to one of the connectors on the foot switch, the other connector gets a wire that goes back to the Insight clutch switch black wire. There's probably other ways to do this, but this was easiest for me...
-LED isn't terribly bright, but it's good enough (voltage was something like 4.8 or so on that red wire at the LED). LED lights up when the foot switch is on - and I think it goes out when you press the clutch with the foot switch on, but goes back on when you lift up on the clutch...
-I simply tinned the ends of the wires that connect to the Insight clutch switch and shoved them in where the stock wires go. Good enough - if you secure the wire with zip ties so the connections won't move...

·
Administrator
12,725 Posts
Sounds to be like you may be drawing the led current via the ECM internal pull up resistor which may be several K ohms. Adding a transistor switch and seperate 12v feed to the led with a 1k resistor would give around 10ma and prob much brighter. Also loading the ecm pull up resistor might give false readings to the ecm.

Transistor Circuits

·
Registered
919 Posts
I used a DPST switch and a Radio Shack LED

I too wanted an indicator light, and after some help from others on this forum including E27006, came up with a great way to have a switch and an indicator light using a DPST switch and a 12 volt Radio Shack LED.

My post is the last one in the thread: http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...-issues/10469-how-disable-assist-regen-6.html I also have a couple on page 5, where I was doing it incorrectly, but there is a photo of the Radio Shack part number for the LED.

Hope this helps,
Tim Glover

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds to be like you may be drawing the led current via the ECM internal pull up resistor which may be several K ohms....
So, not sure what you mean, I'm a total novice at electronics. What I did seems to work fine. Is there a hidden/potential problem? The 5 volt ECM wire from the clutch switch powers the LED...

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I got the switch wired in. But it won't stop assist or regen. Double checked and triple checked. Connected to the correct wires. The led built in to the switch lights up when the switch is on.

I used quick splices went through 4 connectors. I took the first two off to verify the cut through the factory wires.

Anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The LED is built in to the switch from the factory. Theres just the power and ground wires. Thank you for the suggestion though. I may purchase a non led switch and see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry, I need to get my signature updated on this. It's an 01 MT

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok. I'll swap out with just a standard switch and report back after. May be a bit as money is extra tight this paycheck.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts