Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
fyi, thought I'd repost this old image I have of my calpod switch (plus my floor mat 'mod'). I use an FX stomp box switch in a homemade dead pedal. I've really loved the way this foot switch works, very quick and easy to activate, hands free. I've had this installed for about 7 years, switch is really durable. I'd think it would be great for forced auto-stop mods as well...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Update: Switched to a non lit switch. That solved the problem! Thank you @Natalya For the guidance.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
This seemed like the best place to post this. I continue enjoying my car and finding ways to give back to the the Insight community. I made a short vid for you YT channel that shows the clutch switch in action. Perhaps this will help newcomers understand more about how it works.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
fyi, thought I'd repost this old image I have of my calpod switch (plus my floor mat 'mod'). I use an FX stomp box switch in a homemade dead pedal. I've really loved the way this foot switch works, very quick and easy to activate, hands free. I've had this installed for about 7 years, switch is really durable. I'd think it would be great for forced auto-stop mods as well...
View attachment 82988

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
^ I thought you were joking at first. But I see there's a little metal 'nub' on that black plastic sewed to the floor mat, which could be mistaken as a switch... No, there's no switch in the mat.

Oh and, BTW, that piece of plastic has worked wonders and has held up for years. I just had that mat out of the car the other day, and my sew job has really held up... hmm, can't find the thread I used, it was called "sunstop" something or other, pretty beefy, durable stuff I had used once to sew a Miata soft top. I also put a drop of superglue on each stitch, but not sure how much if at all that has helped.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Only thing I’d recommend is a 3 way switch instead of a single push button, this allows you to use the switch as a brake to slow you down .

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
^ Not sure I see the utility in that. Press the switch with my foot, IMA disables, press it again, it re-enables. Seems easy enough to me...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
When your cruise up to a stop sign or red light you pull back on the switch and it throws it into regen adding extra charge into the battery and saving on brakes It still kicks out around 28 mph though . It helps slow the car up and adds a boost to the ima .

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
^ I know what activating the switch does and what regen does, I just don't see how a 3-way switch could be any more convenient than what I got - a quick single press of my foot switch for regen, a quick single press to stop it. Done.

Basically, what I got is far superior to anything else, like dash toggle switches and the like. You often need to be doing things with your hands at the same time the IMA is needing to be disabled or re-enabled. There's no way i'd be able to do what I do with the calpod foot switch were it a dash toggle switch or a dash 3-way switch or whatever... It'd be like trying to play a drum kit without your feet (or at least your left foot, no closed and open high hat, for instance).

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,001 Posts
Well now I want to ask, what driving techniques do you use with your clutch switch?

On my car I have mine in the same spot as Jeff's, but I also have it remote-operateable by a steering wheel button. I have a S2000 steering wheel and I wired one of the cruise buttons to a pcb with a relay that can toggle the clutch switch. Probably not as good as a foot switch, but definitely easier to get at than over the change drawer. However I think the driver needs to know if the switch is active or not, and the change drawer blanks seem like a good place for an indicator LED, so that's why I always put clutch switches over there.

I've put one w/ a LED indicator in every Insight I've owned, except obviously the G2.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Well now I want to ask, what driving techniques do you use with your clutch switch?
The first thing that comes to mind, that's easy enough to explain, is that I tend to drive my car more to test the batteries than to actually drive it - and when logging data, for instance, you need to be able to disable assist and regen just at the right moment so you can get good data. Like, at the end of a heavy assist load you need to disable assist just before you come off throttle, so you don't end up with a brief blip of regen. That way you can see what the rebound voltage is after the assist - without that moment of regen (charge) futzing it up...

[There's a bunch of graphs at this link that might help: OBDIIC&C data logging: What is 'good' pack... You can't really get 'good, clean curves' without utilizing the calpod, and foot switch makes it easy. Actually, some of the 'curves' aren't as clean as others, you can probably tell when I was using the calpod or not.]

I think I probably do a lot of stuff like this whether I'm 'logging data' or not. I'm always doing something with the IMA/batteries/voltages and being able to disable and re-enable the IMA in an instant - with the foot switch - seems to have become...mandatory?, second nature? It's like I'm rocking-out on a drum kit when I drive...

...Probably not as good as a foot switch, but definitely easier to get at than over the change drawer. However I think the driver needs to know if the switch is active or not, and the change drawer blanks seem like a good place for an indicator LED, so that's why I always put clutch switches over there.
Oh yeah, I do have an LED in that spot. I agree that an indicator light is necessary.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yours is superior set up for sure,i just enjoy saving my brakes and able to pump some watts back in the battery with my pull switch.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
2,001 Posts
I had one of the brake pull switches on the wheel in my first Insight, but I think one may get more watts regenerated by decelerating in gear w/ regen instead of regen-only braking because the regen-only braking slows the car so much faster that you stop getting regen sooner.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts

This is how I mounted my CARD (CALPOD) switch. Switch is engaged now, and shows the IMA regen/charging is off.
Push the rocker switch forward with the thumb while shifting, if so desired.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
^ A button on the shifter (or steering wheel) would be pretty comparable to the foot switch...

I had one of the brake pull switches on the wheel in my first Insight, but I think one may get more watts regenerated by decelerating in gear w/ regen instead of regen-only braking because the regen-only braking slows the car so much faster that you stop getting regen sooner.
That's probably true in a lot of circumstances, such as long hills that are steep enough to keep you moving coasting in gear only, but not steep enough to keep you moving if you hit the brakes (feather them enough to invoke regen but not enough to hit friction material)...

Similarly, I find in some circumstances, I think quite steep hills, that the most energy can recouped if you actually apply some friction braking to slow down while of course also regen-ing. You can say double the time it takes to descend the hill, but not lose half the regen power. The regen power would be close to maxed-out anyway whether going say 30 mph or 20 mph, so if you want to max recouped energy, better to apply some friction, to slow down...

Back to the calpod foot switch, I paid some attention to what I was doing today on a short drive, and I noticed that one almost purely driving-related usage (opposed to 'battery testing' usage) that I do was this: I often hit the calpod switch just after rather heavy-assist acceleration - just as I hit peak speed, I upshift say to 4th, hit the calpod, and coast. This prevents regen from slowing me down. I also often hit the calpod when coasting to a stop, in gear. I guess both techniques are about preserving momentum, also getting the benefit of fuel-cut keeping the transmission in gear... It's probably similar to what usage of an FAS switch would be, though I've never had one of those...

I'd say I probably don't need maybe 1/2, 3/4?, of the regen opportunities that come up, to keep my pack full enough to provide all the assist I ever need - so better to hit the calpod... On the other hand, I also use background charge a lot to charge the pack, when conditions are easy/right...

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
You old timers tell me if I'm correct in my video review - that this might be best for (a) mountain driving or (b) weak battery maintenance while driving.

I've been researching all the mods since now owning my 2nd G1 which I intent to keep...what should I do to it. Clutch switch was a great one but the "engine off" mod and the MIMA mods look like the best ones for actual mpg benefits. More than anything the ability (MIMA) to run the car battery only would seem to achieve insane mpg benefits. At the same time it seems the battery would drain awfully quick to do that. More than anything as I watch the MIMA review/drive videos it seems like a focused experience driving a car that way as you'd always have to be thinking about what's best for mpg with every dip and hill ahead of you...

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
You old timers tell me if I'm correct in my video review - that this might be best for (a) mountain driving or (b) weak battery maintenance while driving.
I didn't watch the vid yet. Calpod is good for mountain driving for sure. Not so sure about 'weak battery maintenance'. You need (or should have) a calpod to help manage pack usage, but I think it's counter-productive if one is thinking 'disable pack, use it less, help preserve it'.

I think generally speaking the more and wider you use the pack the better, the more you limit usage the faster it will deteriorate. Of course, often times you're already at the point where the pack is simply not very usable to begin with, so you have to do something to be able to use it more liberally, across a wider charge state range, etc...

...More than anything the ability (MIMA) to run the car battery only would seem to achieve insane mpg benefits. At the same time it seems the battery would drain awfully quick to do that. More than anything as I watch the MIMA review/drive videos it seems like a focused experience driving a car that way as you'd always have to be thinking about what's best for mpg with every dip and hill ahead of you...
Funny, I used to want to avoid 'thinking about driving, the IMA', and all that. I just got sucked into it, to the point that now, like I mentioned earlier, I almost drive more to 'test the batteries' than to actually get somewhere...

On MIMA, just so you know, the contemporary device is Peter's 'IMAC&C' - MIMA's haven't been made in a long time. I really don't see how such a device would be very useful if at all unless you install a bigger pack.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
You need (or should have) a calpod to help manage pack usage...
That's just the thing, my pack is brand new and hardly ever drops below 70% even with some aggressive driving now and then. So I don't know that the calpod will be used much as there is no real need at this point to manage the pack as you say. But it's great to have no doubt.

As to your other comments, I have to balance my enjoyment of the car with the anxiety/distraction/obsession/_ (fill in the blank) of attaining the best MPG by being absorbed in what's happening electronically at every moment. I found myself doing the latter with my first Insight over the summer. Now I'm on my second one and I'm leaning the other way, just enjoying the car (which is super fun to drive aggressively) more. I'm getting about 57mpg around town after about 1200 miles so far which is acceptable. Could get more but the fun is more important than the mpg right now. That's why I'm hesitant to go the IMAC&C (thanks for the clarification btw) - I feel I'd always be in "obsession" mode trying to get the best mpg.

Just watching some of those videos where people are getting 100+ mpg makes me anxious. I'm thinking "You Need To Get Out More." I could fixate on that very easily myself though, I am wired that way. Wired, haha, get it?

So many ways to enjoy this car...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts