Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
hmm, I guess when I wrote what you quoted I was thinking mainly about the 'better drive-ability' side of things, rather than 'better for pack' side. There's lots of times when you just need to get the IMA out of the way - top most being mountain driving, but also strong headwinds at highway speeds, coast downs to preserve momentum, in general just to control if background charge can happen or not - that's a big one. The car has little clue when it's OK to background charge, in terms of whether or not it will hamper drive-ability...

...As to your other comments, I have to balance my enjoyment of the car with the anxiety/distraction/obsession/_ (fill in the blank) of attaining the best MPG by being absorbed in what's happening electronically at every moment. I found myself doing the latter with my first Insight over the summer. Now I'm on my second one and I'm leaning the other way, just enjoying the car ...So many ways to enjoy this car.
Yeah, it is a pretty fun car, maybe for a certain type of person, kind of wonky...

I think I paid attention to mpg a lot more in my early years, but after you get a handle on things, it really doesn't matter - you can drive the car just about any way and still get the same, good fuel economy. I think I just sort of balance things out, almost unconsciously now, hitting about where 'the mpg target' is, basically 60-70 mpg. I've averaged about 65 over the years. I'll drive pretty aggressively now, in some situations (mostly because I'm always in pack-testing mode), but then I'll balance that 'aggression' with a lot of slow, easy driving, long coast downs, etc. A little nip here, a little tuck there...

The only thing I don't really do any more is try to eek-out every last mile per gallon; if I try I could get, I don't know, 80 mpg. But the difference between getting 70 vs. 80 is a major revamp of all driving technique and style everywhere, every minute. I'd rather focus my attention on other things.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I plan to wire up my clutch switch/brake switch this weekend. I've got a DPDT switch and am planning to also run wiring from my mini-toggle switch for a future LED indicator light for the clutch switch. Does anybody know how I would go about wiring an indicator light that would dim when the headlights are on?

41 - 43 of 43 Posts