Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a link once where a Insight owner had replace the mirrors with 2 small cameras to improve the drag and milage, anyone remember this and the link?
Are they any aftermarket hoods and tanklids in carbonfiber to decrease the wieght of the car?

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Alex; I am one person who has replaced the outside mirrors with a video camera. I mounted the color camera in the left tail light lens. There is a 5 inch color monitor on the far left side of my dashboard. It works great. I mainly did it for looks; I feel the Insight has rather large ungainly mirrors. At higher freeway speeds there is a small aero benefit, but not very much.

No aftermarket parts like you describe, afaik. The hood is aluminum and already very lightweight. The only "heavy" item may be the large amount of glass in the rear deck lid.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm not sure if doing this mod to the car is legal because a camera can malfunction. You should look it up in the vehicle code before doing it first.

·
Registered
466 Posts
and a mirror can explode all over the inside of the car when hit by a branch sticking out into the road. :oops: dont ask..... but both are fixable. still, resist is right. it might not be legal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Billy thank´s for your fast reply, I guess a carbon hood only could save you a few lbs together with the tanklid?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts