Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

i'm currently in the process of researching the insight and have fallen in love with the idea of owning one... my main reason for buying an insight vs any 'normal' car would be the reduced emissions put into the environment (that and i think it's got some charm to it plus it's a honda and i've owned and loved hondas for years)

i was wondering if anyone knows how much of a difference in emissions the cvt transmission puts out compared to the manual transmission even if you factor in the reduced emissions that come with the higher mpg with the manual transmission

i prefer to drive a manual car, and will probably opt for this considering i'd still be high above other cars on the road when comparing emissions, but would like to know if it would really be that much more output than the cvt

thanks in advance
mark

·
Registered
95 Posts
In the over all scheme of things the MT Insight was designed for Europe and Japan. The CVT was added after the MT for the US market (the MT was available in Japan a year before the US introduction). In Europe and Japan they concentrate more on ‘green house gasses’ for pollution reduction, so reduction of CO2 is the first priority of the MT Insight. The focus on green house gasses is partly why 50% of new vehicle sales in Europe are diesel engines, they are perceived as ‘green’ because they emit less CO2 (and the high demand for diesel fuel in Europe has pushed up the price of diesel in the US).

The CVT was targeted for the US market, where the majority of $20k+ cars are automatics and we concentrate more on smog reduction than CO2. So the CVT is SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) rated. To achieve this emission rating the CVT dose not have the lean burn feature, this adds to the reduction in fuel efficiency along with the CVT transmission.

In the big picture both the Insights can be considered relativly low emission, even the CVT offers a significant reduction in CO2 when compared to other cars (notice in the link above the CVT Insight offers a 15% reduction in CO2 as compared to the Prius). When you consider the fact that the Insight was introduced in the 1999 year model (in Japan) the design has done well to stay ahead of the rest of the industry for so long.

·
Registered
66 Posts
jbrasure said:
According to the link below, the MT produces 8 to 11 times as much smog producing emmisions. However, the CVT produces 1.09 times as much greenhouse gases.
Personally, I've always felt it's very misleading to represent data in this manner. 10 times almost zero is almost zero in any math class I've ever taken.

If you really wan't to view the insight from an environmentalist perspective, the right way to look at it is the reduction of the consumption of natural resources. In that respect, the MT has the potential of consuming up to 25% LESS fuel than the CVT. (My lmpg is currently at 85, I've seen as high as 92 here on the board, and I fairly frequently am making round-trips in the 100-105mpg range now that it's summertime).

I don't think I've seen ANY CVT insight even touch a lmpg of > 70mpg.

To me, talking about saving stuff in units of gallons is several orders of magnitude more significant than talking about saving almost immeasurable micropuffs of "greenhouse gasses".

But that's just me...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Some points

Infidel makes a point about 10 x almost nothing being almost nothing. However, when the numbers start to go up to 100 x or 1000 x almost nothing the numbers become more significant. When you look at the large number of cars pumping out huge amounts of emissions in comparison to our Insights, it's a pretty big dump!

IMHO, it's not so much how much cleaner the CVT is vs. the MT, it's really about how much cleaner either of them are compared to many of your other choices.

A COMPARISON OF EMISSIONS STANDARDS

Clean Car Campaign-SULEV Standard
Hydrocarbons (HC) 0.01 percent
Carbon Monoxide (CO) 1.0 (grams/mile)
Nitrous Oxides (NOx) 0.02 (grams/mile)
Particulate Matter (PM) 0.01 (grams/mile)

Current Federal Standard - Tier 1
Hydrocarbons (HC) 0.31 percent
Carbon Monoxide (CO) 4.2 (grams/mile)
Nitrous Oxides (NOx) 0.6 (grams/mile)
Particulate Matter (PM) 0.10 (grams/mile)

Reduction
Hydrocarbons (HC) 97%
Carbon Monoxide (CO) 76%
Nitrous Oxides (NOx) 97%
Particulate Matter (PM) 90%

Congratulations on your consideration of joining the Insight world. I love my CVT and am very pleased with 56 mpg running larger than stock tires and not having to shift as much as I would otherwise on my 110 mile r/t everyday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all very much for the quick response, not to mention giving me the important information i really needed to see

you're right when you say that either option is much better than other more polluting and consuming cars/trucks on the roads these days, it's just that i tend to get super critical of my emissions hehe

i have thought it over the past few days and have decided to go with the manual transmission as i've always driven them, without the shifter my right hand might reach for an empty food wrapper to throw out the window (joking) and i would feel good about the reduced CO2 emissions overall

everyone here is so very nice and i look forward to posting my next topic: new insight owner at last!

look forward to seeing you on the road as i pilot my futuristic space pod and thanks again for all the help,
mark

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark.

The Insight definately has charm. I haven't enjoyed a vehicle as much since I was riding motorcycles.

In Canada we can only get the standard transmission. It's what I wanted anyway. The clutch is hydraulic like my 80 Prelude and much more leg friendly than my cable clutch 89 CRX. The gears are really tall and the torque curve relatively flat. As a result the Insight is faster accelerating than it feels.Third is essentially 1:1 and is good up to the speed limiter at 113 MPH. Fourth and fifth are overdrives. It has very little rolling friction. I mention these points because the Insight will feel different to drive than other standards you have owned.

Good hunting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts