Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I really want to install a sound system in my 2010 Honda Insight Ex w/Navi. I picked out my ideal setup but don't know if my car can handle the power it would require. Here is what I want:

1x Monoblock amp (Rockford Fosgate P1000X1BD 1000 watt RMS @ 1 OHM)
1x 4 channel amp (Pioneer GM-D8604 100 watt RMS @ 4 OHM)
2x 12" subwoofers (Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 DVC 600 watt RMS @ 4 OHM)
4x 6.5" coaxial speakers (Kicker 41KSC654 100 watt RMS @ 4 OHM)

Can my car handle this system? And if not what could I do to get the power I would need to handle it?

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
i wish the police would enforce the laws against useless noise. it so depressing to sit next to one of these wanna be gangsters with their rap and hate music blasting away at all of us they need to intimidate. makes me wanna pull out a gun and shoot them.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I am constantly tempted to buy one of those little
in a can.

With my luck, I'd be the one cited for noise ordinance violation.

I particularly love it when cruising along in nice weather with the windows down and stopping at a light alongside a twenty something jackass with HIS windows down and his system "bumping."

Fortunately, my 10 year old daughter doesn't ask about "da bitches" anymore after a few explanations on my part about being considerate and what's appropriate.

·
Registered
831 Posts
That much sound power in an Insight will probably blow out the windows and puff out the door skins! It's a small car interior wise, so easy to get full sound with a lot less power.

A small woofer, 4 upgraded door speakers and 200-300 watts would be more usable in a small car. Insight could handle that, without having to add solar panels or tow around a backup generator.:)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
This car has no alternator, but you could install one. The battery is maintained with a max 70 amp converter when the engine is on. When its off all you got is the little motorcycle battery under the hood to power stuff.

Install the biggest alternator you can find and add a battery bank. Plan B? Limit it to 700 watts max.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright thank you. I appreciate the constructive answers to my questions. Anymore thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Just do the math. Figure out how much power you need. Figure out how much power you have. If it's not enough figure out what you need to do to make up the difference. Since you have no alternator and a tiny battery it won't be easy in this car.

Sam

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
The only thing that matters is the RMS of your amps... 1100w.

Your battery will buffer the peak draws, and no matter how bad you ghetto-blast it, you're never going to draw even close to 1100w continuous.

Translation: you'll be fine, though you may want to add a second 12v battery nearer your amp(s) to reduce momentary high draws on along cable run from front to back of the car.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
i have tried to talk people into using the regular 120V AC type amplifiers and plug them into the IMA pack for power directly from the battery. i would recommend going around the input rectifier to the input caps and applying the IMA battery leads there but i think the voltage is high enuff to drive the amplifier. but nobody wanted to try it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You cannot run AC amps from a DC power source, you'd melt down the transformers if the fuse does not blow first.

If the DC base voltage of the amplifier circuit is somewhere around 110 Volt you might just skip the transformer altogether, but then again the IMA system may cause instabilities/noise on the circuit, and likewise the power drawn by the amp may disrupt IMA functioning. High risk, high chance of failure... Wouldn't venture there unless you film it for a TV show.

@Juggalo_kyle: I like the technical challenge; it would all be so much easier if you go for lower specs, but if you pull it off I would like to read about it.

Just, if I may, let me give you one piece of additional advice.

I suffer from tinnitus. It started when I was in my teens, after a rock concert my ears would keep ringing for hours. But it always went away.
Until it didn't.
Nowadays I have difficulty hearing what other people are saying because the ringing in my ears drains out most of the sound.
It is always there, when I sleep, when I try to concentrate at work; there is no escape.
If I could step into a time machine and stop myself from listening to loud music when I was young I'd do that, obviously.

I have a high end stereo system at home, but I hardly use it nowadays. I'd trade it for a Hello Kitty music box if that would make the ringing stop.
Be wise, take care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This car has no alternator, but you could install one. The battery is maintained with a max 70 amp converter when the engine is on. When its off all you got is the little motorcycle battery under the hood to power stuff.

Install the biggest alternator you can find and add a battery bank. Plan B? Limit it to 700 watts max.
Cobb where are you finding the details about 70 amps? I've been trying to find out how many amps my car can put out with no luck.

I checked the official websites and manuals for the two amps I want. The Rockford amp says it's Average Current Draw with Music at 13.8V is 65 A and it's Max Current Draw with Sinewaves at 13.8V is 130 A. The suggested Alternator is 100 A. The Pioneer amp says it's Current Consumption is 33.5 A at Continuous Power and it's Average Current Drawn is 3.1 A.

Now when you say limit it to 700 watts max are you saying 700 watts RMS power? Or 700 watts Peak power?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
dnmun, the ima system in the gen 2 is DC and normal 108 volts. This maybe too advance for most people to do safely.

RedDevil, granted I like loud music, I know many who beat me at volume. When I use to work in a call center I could easily over hear other customers as my coworkers have their head sets cranked up on both knobs to 11.

Once I thought I did it and ruined the hearing in one ear with the ringing noise you speak of like a cloud was over it. The Dr stuck a large syringe full of hot water and blew my ear out. My ear was full of crap and wax. As he was working on the other ear I could hear the air from the vent over head and people talking in the rooms around me again. :)

juggalo_kyle, I had 2 sub sets with an alpine m 450 amp. I could run it at full volume for 15 minutes before I exceeded the output of the IMA system and had the ac turn off while the car went into a recharge cycle.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
i thought it would work like we do with the compact flourescent lights and AC adapters to take power off the battery on the ebikes when they get up to 72-96V. but that is Switch Mode Power Supply type interface but i thought the transistors in the amplifiers would work at that voltage.

i have some tinnitus from the 60s too.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Switch Mode power supplies would work but I doubt a 1000 Watt amp would use that. Too much power, it would also be hard to filter out the spikes.
But if they do than indeed you might be able to power them from the IMA system, except in accessory mode.

I know clogged ears are one cause of tinnitus, sadly not in my case. I'll go see a doctor for my ears soon though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So can anyone give me the exact amount of amps I can draw from my battery without causing anything in my car to shut down? If I downgraded to the 500 watt RMS version mono amp would I be okay?

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
juggalo_kyle, is this for show, SPL or cruising? I wouldnt go past 500 watts if you like to use AC while sitting in traffic. Even then you got 15 minutes before the AC is interrupted while it goes through a recharge cycle.

Plan B would be to add a few bats in the trunk and charge them at home for shows and stuff. Hell I had a group 27 deep cycle bat in the trunk for a time myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
juggalo_kyle, is this for show, SPL or cruising? I wouldnt go past 500 watts if you like to use AC while sitting in traffic. Even then you got 15 minutes before the AC is interrupted while it goes through a recharge cycle.

Plan B would be to add a few bats in the trunk and charge them at home for shows and stuff. Hell I had a group 27 deep cycle bat in the trunk for a time myself.
I just want to have a system for average listening. I want to get the best clean quality sound for a reasonable price. I love loud bass but I don't plan on blasting my music constantly til I go deaf. Even now I set my music volume at midrange. But I want the option of cranking it up loud (Say I'm parked somewhere and we have a little get together I can pop the hatchback and turn it up). This is an investment for me that I want to keep for years and transfer to any other vehicles I get in the future. So I want to go for the maximum my car can handle. Preferably without another battery because I really don't know much about all that. I'm actually just learning everything and spent a lot of time researching what I do know now. If I have to I will do some more research on how to hook up another battery. But that route will take longer.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
To improve the sound quality look into adding sound deadening stuff in the doors.

I had Boston Rallye speakers in my '85 Civic doors, but the sound quality remained crap until I had the doors lined with sound deadening foam.
Made the doors quite heavy (the 3 door Civic had big doors anyway) and the deep thud when closing them turned peoples heads.

The Insight could use some sound deadening too. The bigger the speakers, the more apparent that will be.
I would put sound deadening in my Insight if I hadn't stopped listening to music altogether lately.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To improve the sound quality look into adding sound deadening stuff in the doors.

I had Boston Rallye speakers in my '86 Civic doors, but the sound quality remained crap until I had the doors lined with sound deadening foam.
Made the doors quite heavy (the 3 door Civic had big doors anyway) and the deep thud when closing them turned peoples heads.

The Insight could use some sound deadening too. The bigger the speakers, the more apparent that will be.
I would put sound deadening in my Insight if I hadn't stopped listening to music altogether lately.
Yeah I was looking into sound deadening my vehicle. I just want to get my sound system installed first and see how it sounds before I go that route yet. That would be a whole other project.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts