Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(please see subject)

troy

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I was comtemplating this. The electric compressor for the Honda's is integrated in to the compressor housing as one unit. It can be driven off of the engine belt, the built in electric motor or both simultaneously. As far as retrofitting this in to an Insight you'd also need their special drive inverter plus the proper controls, and for what it's worth it would probabl be very difficult to get to work. Alternatively, I was thinking it would probably be a lot easier to just find a small 1 hp electric motor and get a pulley machined for it and totally disconnect the AC compressor from the engine and find a belt to connect the compressor to the motor.

I'm kind of woundering if it would be a moot point though. It seems engine to motor to battery to inverter to motor to belt to compressor might end up using more energy engine to belt to compressor, though I admit freeing up the hp and auto stop with air would be a nice little luxury feature.

Give me a few months. Once I get my EV conversion moving on it's own AC is top on my priority list. I'm not yet sure if I'm going to run it off the main drive motor tail shaft or with a separate motor at this point. So maybe I'll end up doing something similar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts