Honda Insight Forum banner

Can someone help me make a decision?

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  GenTarkin 
#1 ·
I have been obsessing about getting an Insight for the past few months and now I have found one :D , the problem is that my g/f wants me to get a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. I don't know too much about those cars, but it looks really sporty and is supposed to have great performance. I'm a young kid (almost 20) and the eclipse looks really attractive to my *youthfulness*. The car is suped up, plus it has the stock turbo. But It only gets 17-20 mpg though.

My responsible side says "get the insight, it's $4,000 dollars less, it gets 3 to 4 times the amount of gas mileage and you've been wanting it for months".

My youthfulness tells me "Get the eclipse, who cares that it gets crappy gas mileage, so what that it costs more, you'll have the sickest car on the block :twisted: "

Can anyone relate to my situation?
Can someone help me?

Thanks,
Matt

P.S. Sorry this is a more of a personal issue and not really insight related.

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely get the Insight.

The slickness of the Mitsubishi will wear off pretty quickly. There's always a sportier, faster, better looking car around. But, how many Insights do you see on the road?

You'll feel good about driving the Insight getting super gas mileage and flying past gas stations all the time. Plus the added benifit that it is also very sporty looking. Bringing my car home after I bought it, I actually had a guy come up to me and tell me he thought it was a new Porsche and asked all kinds of questions about it.

I have a '94 Mazda RX-7, arguably one of the best looking, fastest production cars built. It has been sitting in the garage for over three years with just over 20K miles on it. It just didn't get the use I thought it would when I bought it. Not that I didn't/don't like the car, it's gorgeous, I just grew out of it pretty quickly.

So my vote (as if I get a vote), is for the Insight. You'll like driving it more, it looks good, and of course it's a Honda. You'll also be able to take your girlfriend out more with the gas money you'll save...that'll sell her. ;)

#3 ·
The Insight is sporty, but it is not a sports car. Then again, neither is the Eclipse (it's FWD as I recall).

If you want my personal opinion, go for the Insight. Not only will you have a car that can't be seen at every highschool-import meeting, but I believe you will end up with a car that is significantly higher on the fun meter. The Insight is not a car to modify, so don't assume you will make it fast. There is no aftermarket support for the car, which generally is a good thing. The last thing the world needs are a fleet of riced out Insights. :)

On a more personal note, you probably shouldn't let your girlfriend influence big/important choices like this. At your age, it's highly unlikely that she'll be around long enough to have to deal with the ramifications of these choices. Not trying to depress you, it's just generally how it is. Sorry if that crossed the line.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies, you guys are right.

Plus my gut instinct tells me to buy the insight. Also, I really will have the best car on the block. I have never seen an insight in my town and it will be cool to have something no one else has (well except for you guys).

Thanks,

Matt

After I get my car I'm posting pics :) I should be getting it in about a week and a half.

#7 ·
Get the Insight, and if you want to have tons of fun compete in auto slalom races!
You can always change the wheels on the insight and put some awesome summer tires like the Toyo T1-S or Yokohama ES100 tires.
And If you decide to change the rims I suggest no bigger then 15" and make sure they are light weight.

Get the Insight it's much more fun the long run.
For example:
It's a lot more fun to race a 10 year old civic on a race track every weekend for a year then to drive a Porsche on the highway every weekend for a year.
The novelty of driving an "amazing" car wears out quickly, but the excitement of improving ones driving skills racing lasts a lifetime!!!

#8 ·
Mits vs. Insight

I have always like the look of the Eclipse and almost got one for the GF a few years ago (should have in retrospect).

I have had as my only car a Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4 for years and years and years. I have always loved it, and I still love it.

However...

These days I find that driving the Insight is actually more fun! It may be that I am tired of my old standby after all these years, but the truth is it is more fun to drive the tiny, zippy, responsive insight. I am not certain how the Eclipse drives these days, but since it is bigger and heavier, I assume it isn't as nippy as the Insight.

I never had a tiny, agile car like the Insight and it is more entertaining to me than a high HP heavier car for regular driving. Sure it's fun to get whiplash from acceleration, but that gets old compared to driving a tiny toy sized car!

It actually is more entertaining to me to shift gears and manage the assist and charging cyles on the Insight vs. just having the power and punching it to go forward in the other car. Both are fun in their own rights, but the Insight gives you a lot of the quickness feeling anyway and adds a lot more to play.

I agree with Guillermo, stick on some high performance tires and run with the Insight!

#9 ·
The Insight is good! Definately the better of the two choices, if you ask me.

If you want a fast and stylish car, the Mitsubishi is probrably not what you're looking for. My personal recommendation in that case would be to get a muscle car. They are relatively inexpensive, very fast, and get a lot of attention. (WAY more than you would ever get in the Mitsubishi)

However, if efficiency or pollution is even of the slightest consideration to you, the Insight is good. It's stylish and decently fast if you use lower gears.

#10 ·
Although I do not *yet* own an Insight, when I am driving down the freeway I take notice of any Insight I see, usually taking the time a little to check it out. A Mitsubishi Eclipse wouldn't / doesn't even get a glance.
I am personally a performance-car guy. I have a '01 BMW 540i, a BMW 323ci convertible, and just sold my '95 Camaro Z28 convertible.
HOWEVER, I just bought a 2004.5 Dodge Ram Pickup, with the Cummins '600' TurboDiesel. One of the reasons I bought it is the mileage factor ( other reason is for towing my boat - a 32' Fountain Fever ). The BMW's now virtually NEVER get driven. You may be too young to get it, but learning NEW driving skills to optimize efficiency is a GAS. I can only imagine how rewarding it would be to drive a vehicle that can fully repay those efforts. The Insight is a really COOL car, and will get you more attention than any Japanese ricer.

Dump the girl - buy the Insight. Fortunately, I won't have to dump mine to get one. She LOVES it . . .

#11 ·
The car is suped up, plus it has the stock turbo.
I'm a young kid (almost 20) and the eclipse looks really attractive to my *youthfulness*.
Sound like the recipie for a speeding ticket and higher insurance rates to me...believeme, I remember the days...

This is not to say you can't get a ticket in an Insight, it's just that I think you will be less likely to be drawn into breaking the law in an Insight.

#12 ·
LOL, my other car is a Lexus IS300 (one of the nicest cars I have ever had the pleasure of driving) but my insight gets the most driving time now. I only regret that I jumped on the CVT instead of trying to track down a 5 spd. Get a 5spd is my advice.

#13 ·
Well, when I was 20 I got my first car and is my current vehicle, its a 2000 S10 Xtreme 4.3L(rated 17/23, think I get 19/26)....at your age, you dont know what your coming of age into an adult is going to bring you, but from my experiences....well...
Lets just say gas prices are rising and life has thrown me a few curve balls and now Im sitting here going ugh it costs me 4$ a round trip to work and back home for gas, when I could be spending 4 pennies in gas a trip.
Now Im totally fiending gettin a Insight, I think its the most badass car Ive ever read about and actually this is my first post here and this is the first night Ive started reading about them =).

I just wish they werent so expensive....maybe Ill find a nice used one like a 02 or 01 or something =P
anyhow my .02cents is get the Insight...that way whatever life throws you you, WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GAS PRICES =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.