Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where the arrow is pointing, what is that? I have a slow oil leak coming from it and need to know what it is and if there is a gasket I need or what. I skimmed through the manuals and couldn't find anything mentioning it.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the picture from google because it was too dark to get one of mine, so i'm not sure what the guy was doing with the red stuff. Anyway to confirm if it is the main seal?

·
Premium Member
9,855 Posts
Pull the transmission. Are you losing a LOT of oil?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I could pull the trans to check but I don't know how and don't have the equipment. As far as I can tell it's just a slow drip, no puddles or anything. What is under that square piece anyway?

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
No need to pull the transmision to give a quick look, take the square piece off and look in there with a flashlight. I've heard that the rear main seals on Insight engines leak, like many engines wth the same age, but I haven't heard of any examples of them leaking bad enough to smear a clutch disk or otherwise cause a major problem where the transmission needs to be pulled. ..but if it does end up smearing the disk, the mess would need to be cleaned up, the seal replaced, and since you've got it open, putting a new disk and pressure plate in there. I'd personally send the transmission off to Scott to have the synchro fixed and transmission rebuilt if I pulled mine.

·
Registered
780 Posts
No need to pull the transmision to give a quick look, take the square piece off and look in there with a flashlight. I've heard that the rear main seals on Insight engines leak, like many engines wth the same age, but I haven't heard of any examples of them leaking bad enough to smear a clutch disk or otherwise cause a major problem where the transmission needs to be pulled. ..but if it does end up smearing the disk, the mess would need to be cleaned up, the seal replaced, and since you've got it open, putting a new disk and pressure plate in there. I'd personally send the transmission off to Scott to have the synchro fixed and transmission rebuilt if I pulled mine.
People are still bothering with the stock transmissions when they need a rebuild? Swapping to a HCH transmission was the best thing I did to my car for city driving. Mine should have been rebuilt first though. Has a slightly noisy input shaft bearing but I got rid of my gear grinds, first gear doesn't have to be slipped as much and second has way more pulling power.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
People are still bothering with the stock transmissions when they need a rebuild? Swapping to a HCH transmission was the best thing I did to my car for city driving. Mine should have been rebuilt first though. Has a slightly noisy input shaft bearing but I got rid of my gear grinds, first gear doesn't have to be slipped as much and second has way more pulling power.
I don't want to lose lean burn while driving cross country on the interstate. I bought this car for it's 70+ mpg interstate cruise and I often can manage to do this between 70-78mph when things are flat. Without lean burn, getting 70mpg going those speeds isn't going to be a thing. Gas mileage would be significantly reduced because you are reducing the throttle opening for both losing lean-burn and a faster engine speed.
What is the ground speed at 2700rpm in 5th gear?

I rarely drive in the city and the performance in town is decent. If I decided to ditch the IMA entirely, I'd probably go for it but I've still got two packs worth of good tested stock sticks that I'm sitting on, as well as 2 packs worth of majority bad crap-shoot sticks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
70MPH+ at 70MPG?

I need to know your secret. Texas highways are often 75MPH speed limits and I just can't keep up.

Some days I've gotten there but I can't seem to find the magic formula to maintain it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts