Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The motor is brushless and should last the life of the car, whats likely weakening are your batteries. What you describe sounds like recalibrations. If the battery SOC suddenly drops to nothing and force charges back up. This behavior seems to be in some 2000 Insight's, especially at higher mileage like yours. Unfortunately your completely outside of warranty so your best bet is probably to just drive it till it dies completely. A replacment will run you about 3 grand from Honda unfortunately. Eventually you will probably get a IMA light once the pack gets weak enough that the car decides it's no longer usable. This of course could be a long time though.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
b1shmu63, 3 NiMH penlight cells in parrallel could handle 90 amps?

As far as a part number I think you have to call Honda. At the dealerships it's listed as call the tech line. They have to get approval to order one. You may have to call to get that info. The problem is they don't sell just the battery pack, you have to get an all new BCM and MCM so that why the price is so high.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Interesting find sunhunter. The only thing is it says discharge rate is only 30 amps for that cell :?. I don't quite think that would hold up to a 90 amp peak. Now don't get me wrong, I would love to have another option for battery replacement, but one issue I have with it is the fact that panasonic makes a dang good battery. Most of the OEM EV's used panasonics. GM used them in both their lead acid and and NiMH vehicles, and if you kept the charge above 50% DOD they would last for 50,000 miles (PBA anyways)! Panasonic batteries are not cheap, but from what I've seen boy do they deliver. Now if a guy could get just the battery sticks, or even the pack with the cooling assembly and all without a new BCM and MCM that would be great. It seems to me like that could knock off a grand off of the cost right there for their little magic boxes and just get nicely matched cells.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.