Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Sounds like the battery or control electronics. Your best bet to get a battery pack will of course be from a wrecked Insight. My background is a lso Electronics with experience in power conversion. There is a chance that only one of the cells in your pack is bad. If that is the case you could replace it with 3 Nmh penlight cells in parrallel. I would not recomend this to anyone but a seasoned Tech or engineer who is used to dealing with high voltages. It sounds like you might have the equipment and experience to tackle this. Let us know. This sort of thing will become important as the fleet ages.

Kip

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Rick, the cells that make up the pack are just "D" cells rated at 6 amp/hour. State of the art penlights are rated 2.2 amp/hour each. Three in parallel gives you 6.6 ampere/hour and should fit in about the same area. If the IMA pack is toast and the waranty expired, what do you have to loose? They go for $14.99 CDN a pair at the local Wallmart. Hey, give the cat a canary and put 4 in parallel for $30.00 CDN. Of course, if you had to do the whole pack that way it would cost 120 X 30, or 3,600 dollars. :shock: Perhaps Wallmart would give us a special price if we came in and asked for 480 rechargeable penlights. :wink:

Seriously, don't even think of attempting this if you don't have the tools knowlege and experience.

Kip

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Nice hunting Sunhunter. That sounds like a great way to rebuild a battery pack. I was not aware that the cells screwed together, so the penlights probably would not be that great an idea. With such a low price on the "D" cells it wouldn't make sense to use any thing else. There soon will be hundreds of thousands of hybrids on the road and someone out there is going to get rich rebuilding those packs. :idea:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.