Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 128,500 miles on my Insight. Yes, you read that right, and it looks like it too. Is there anything short of weighing it down with chrome, that I can do to make it look flashy again....and keep it that way. If there is, I'd have to consider a transparent hood and dim colored lights. :twisted:

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know a lot of folks just hose down the engine bay with Simple Green and a pressure washer, and that seems to work out reasonably well. You have to be a little careful so as to not spray any of the electronics to death, but I know probably 4 guys who semi-regularly pressure wash their engine bays and have never had any trouble.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If it's not so bad a sponge and car soap will work just fine too. If it's greasy at all use some degreaser. Just don't spray it while the engine is hot. Then drying it really well is the other half of it to prevent water spotting. A wet shop vac or a air hose will help a lot. Then if you really wanted to go all you can put some dressing on the plastic parts. I've done this to my engine every time it got dusty and it looks brand new after 26,000 miles.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the green foam take care of the aged aluminum look?

it's pretty dark and dingy from all the miles

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
It's worth a try at least. If it's as bad as you make it sound you may want to start with a pressure washer after a good soaking in degreaser. As far as the alluminum probably being oxidized if you really wanted you could take the pieces out and polish them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think that you can have an engine steam cleaned at a detailing center. That may be something to look into. Possibly less risky on components as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts