Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that if Toyota made a hybrid for nothing but efficiency (like the Insight, perhaps the only car ever made ONLY for efficiency, except the EV1) that they would make a car that's overall more fuel efficient than the Insight because of the advantage in city driving.

But then I thought :idea: ...Can a HSD system, designed especially for the Insight, fit in an Insight and still provide the performance requirements? I call "performance requirements" equal to the Insight now. Anything less than 73 hp is too little.

Any opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Anything is possible, it depends on the depth of your pockets.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
You'd have a really heavy Insight with almost no economic benefit, or looking at it another way Yuod have a really cramped Prius. The Prius is a lovely car in its own right and for what it does well.

Put in a turbo if you want more performance with little economy hit. Use the Prius electric motor alone if you want a supper miserly 50 HP electric only car. That said I wouldn't mess with the Insight, which is a rare work of automotive art, (unless you find a scrapped one.).

OK, you asked for my opinion.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never suggested to actually change an Insight; I was just imagining what is/isn't possible with HSD in comparison with IMA.

Insights certainly are automotive art. How many mass-produced all aluminium cars can you think of? Plus, an Insight will still look futuristic even 100 years from now! :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Kip,

I just wanted to let you know that:
"a rare work of automotive art"
is thusfar the most fitting description I've heard for the Insight.

Although I'm driving much less these days (except when it rains or snows), every time I pass my Insight in the driveway (on the commuter bicycle) I'll think of your elegant moniker.

We should be grateful that Honda wouldn't consider the same process for the Insight as GM (shamefully) implemented for the similarly elegant EV1.
I plan to keep my Insight for the rest of my days on this planet, and I'm hopeful that my son (who will likely inherit it) and future generations will share our opinion about the Insight.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Thanks Brian, I just described the way I feel about it. I have kept my cars on average 15 years. I actually calculated out my cost per year based on a 30 year life expectancy for the car before buying. later it occurred to me that the Insight might outlive me. :lol:

Jat I'm sorry if I misread your intent.

What the Prius gains in city traffic it loses on the highway. In the city HSD allows the motor to be off much of the time. This is particularly useful in creeping traffic. On the highway HSD must produce electricity continuously to function. This has the same lossy effect as a non lock up torque converter.

The best possible improvement for the Insight would be to add a pair of 10 HP in wheel motors for the rear wheels. This would allow pure electric mode in the city as well as a big torque boost and 4WD for awesome acceleration. It would allow for much more aggressive braking regeneration too. Some of Toyota's luxury $$$ hybrids are already using this concept, but not the Prius.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Now you're talking! :D In town with little wind resistance you would get almost the mileage of a Prius. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts