Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get lithium someday. One of the things that stops me is that the higher cell count packs aren't done yet and when I do it I want to do it big. Peter is working on 96 cells at the moment which presumably would have the most horsepower which is my main want over capacity or really any other factor besides reliability.

Being in the southwest the meanwell is non functional until the car cools down about 4 months of the year minimum. The dc/dc has a much higher operating temperature envelope but it has voltage limitations compared to a meanwell.

Would there be a way to have the pack running at a low voltage state like how Peter is looking at 48 cell while the pack is hot and having it use dc/dc and then flip a switch when either the weather has cooled down or you've been driving it enough that you've gotten everything cooled down and then go to 96? I figure if it is at all possible that 48 and 96 make the most sense as they're evenly divisible so the switch would just split the pack in half and also switch which dc/dc it was using. There would probably also have to be something in the circuit to keep what the computers see voltage wise the same so it doesn't upset the ima system.

The simpler possibility would just be running a larger under hood battery so that way the car has plenty of power until the meanwell starts pumping out some juice. I'm not really sure how many amps the car draws worst case though which would be headlights on, ac on, fan full blast. That's why I'm wondering about the switch. I don't know how long a car could handle not having the dc/dc on.

·
Administrator
11,157 Posts
Almost anything is possible, but I'm unlikely to be be looking at that.

It should be possible to use the Meanwell if you sort out the cooling.

What exactly is your current configuration and what have you done to sort it?

·
Registered
276 Posts
If it's hot enough to stop the meanwell from working, then I certainly wouldn't want to be inside the car either. How hot is it in there? Because my MW PSU hasn't shut down due to heat yet and I live in Texas.

It's on my to-do list to build an enclosure around it that gets vented out the bottom of the car. I'm going to use a small fan located in the stock DC-DC vent area to pull heat down and out of the car similar to stock, but not using the stock giant fan. I'll be doing this before rebuilding the interior back there with a lower-height deck.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've been wanting to get lithium someday. One of the things that stops me is that the higher.

The dc/dc has a much higher operating temperature envelope but it has voltage limitations
Years ago my father had made a voltage blowout device as a primitive regulator.

it was a contactor in parallel with a startup resistor pack.

In effect when you hit a specific voltage within a 1/60 of a second the contactor would break the circuit running current through the startup resistor.

The 2000 watt rated resistor would easily pass 3 amps while bleeding about 30 Volts, the more amps passed the larger the drop which wasn’t critical in that circuit.

I can’t say how economical a circuit of this type would be but if your Packs voltage spends 90% + of its time in range of the dcdc with occasional transients above it might work but you would have to contend with getting the heat out of the ceramic heater

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peter. I am currently running fully bypassed with an HCH transmission. I haven't been above 4k rpms long enough to kill my battery yet but it does get a lot of white dust on the terminals which I think is a sign of it being discharged pretty heavily.

Harry lives not far from me and he couldn't get his meanwell to work in the summer so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't either.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have 2x Meanwells in my car (one is the 12v for the car, another 15.5v for my lithium/car stereo setup), one with the stock fan and one with a quiet 120mm fan (and replaced thermal paste with Arctic Silver Ceramique). On the hottest of summer days, it had no issue supplying power for both systems. That's around 100*F outside and stupid hot inside. I don't use my AC, so windows down was as good as it was getting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts