Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am having a slight issue with my 2010 Honda Insight (EU model). I had the car for 6 months now.
When the car is cold it is "hopping" when taking off with light accelerator pressure: youtube.com / watch?v=XjnrJBonB24

It makes parking or manoeuvring a less then comfortable experience. Especially on small incline and in the morning.

It is especially noticeable on Reverse. Less pronounced on D. As the car warms up the issue goes away on D and is still slightly noticeable on R. The video was shoot with car semi cold. It only happens with light throttle. If I let it creep with no throttle or take off more vigorously it works normal.

Things that where done:
- Hooked up to laptop and Honda HDS Scan tool (I have a well equipped workshop :) - no errors
- Performed EGR valve test - Test OK
- Replaced air filter and cabin filter - no improvement
- Updated the ECU/CVT/IMA software + cleaned the throttle body - smoothed things a bit.
- Performed Idle relearn procedure + Start clutch relearn procedure - Seems to fix the issue but when the car cools down it starts hopping again - Procedure can only be done on warm engine.
- Replaced Engine oil and filter (Switched from 5W-30 to Geniuine Honda Green Hybrid) - nothing although it's smoother on V-TEC valve mode changes.
- Car was a bit low on Transmission fluid (barely touching low "cold" mark) so topped it up as per service manual - Added around 400 ml but no improvement

The transmission oil looks clean. Last change was 2 yrs/50 000 km ago.
Tyre pressure is as per sticker.
Engine/transmission behaves perfectly fine when on Neutral or when Cruising.
Did the Start clutch stall test and it's OK. No judder, no slipping.

Things to do:
- Front brake caliper is sticking. I am going to replace the brake fluid as it's past it's 3 year mark and do the brakes ASAP but I am afraid it will not fix the issue (Although might smooth it out a bit).
- Car is reaching 120kkm mark where the spark plug and fuel filter change is required - Probably won't fix it.

Anyone with the same issue?
Will the CVT fluid change help or is it a Start clutch valve/actuator going away?

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I don't get anything from your video.

50K km is overdue for a CVT fluid change IMHO. That's where I'd start.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Piling on: change the CVT fluid, 50,000 km is just over 31,000 miles. The guy who designed the CVT says every 15-18k miles (24,000-28,000km) should be the change interval. Every other oil change is a good way to time it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Better off staying on top CVT/ oil change- I changed mine every other service on my old insight,and changed my CVT on my current one as soon S I bought it( despite being told it was done already- no chances)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Will look into changing the cvt fluid then. I'm wondering if that could be caused by clogged filter in cvt.
Did it help to anyone of you for this particular issue? Did you do single or double flush of the fluid?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Updates and the CVT oil change made my old insight a different car is MPG much better,and the CVT software update sorted out the shuddering

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Also check your motor mounts after the CVT fluid change. Open the hood and have someone hold the brake and go forward and reverse and see how much the motor moves.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have what "they" call "judder." There was a recall on it that I missed. The dealer recently did not recommend a fluid change because the metal shavings might make matters worse when changing. I've just lived with it for many years.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have what "they" call "judder." There was a recall on it that I missed. The dealer recently did not recommend a fluid change because the metal shavings might make matters worse when changing. I've just lived with it for many years.
I hate this old wive's tale.

While I agree that you shouldn't stir up the muck that you have in there, if you do nothing the trans will grenade someday.

You can start improving things by draining or sucking out the top a little fluid at a time and replacing it with fresh. This will slowly add detergents to the system and greatly reduce the chance of a filter clog.

A clogged filter is the real problem here. Not "metal shavings" or whatever. The filter clogs with metal, dirt, clutch material (in a regular auto) and anything else that gets in there. When the filter clogs, the oil can't circulate and the trans goes boom.

take a year and replace maybe 1 quart everytime you change the engine oil. Then after a year do a full flush, fill, and filter change. Then keep up on that maintenance.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I agree with the op ref old wives tale etc, sound's like your dealer is a waffler,and either doesent know it doesn't care ref your car woes- change dealer

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have what "they" call "judder." There was a recall on it that I missed. The dealer recently did not recommend a fluid change because the metal shavings
might make matters worse when changing. I've just lived with it for many years.
This is the second generation forum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts