Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mulled it over for years, how to camp in my Insight. Finally one day I saw a big sheet of plywood that had been between a mattress and box spring, but had somehow made it into my garage. I push the passenger seat forward as far as it will go and put the plywood over the lip of hatchback bed behind the seats, therefore extending the hatchback. I tried Thermarest type camping mattresses, and was more comfy with a firm 3-fold foam mattress. And sleep diagonally. I had had previous attempts without the plywood in which I was forced to curl up in more of a fetal position than I prefer. I went to a retreat that was so full I would have had to share a room with a nice mom and her great but way too exuberant 7-year-old, so the car won out. Other times I have felt too lazy to put up a tent and used the car. I have also slept across the 2 seats, with a flexible camping mattress, thin foam over the parking brake, not as good as the plywood solution. It helps that I am small, about 5'3". I saw a video a while ago of a very big guy who made a platform that reached to the dashboard of a first generation Insight. The best part was his partner's giggling. I will add a photo.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,449 Posts
I slept overnight in my Insight before the Atlantic Insight Maintenance Meet in 2018. Worst sleep ever, only got about 4 hours. There's just not a comfortable way to do it in the driver's seat. Was so bad I drove the 10 hours home the next day after the meet in 1 shot so I'd be able to sleep in my bed. >__< Doesn't help that I'm really tall... 6'2"

·
Super Moderator
7,188 Posts
I know a guy who travels widely on short term construction projects. He sleeps much of the time on a plywood platform in his Insight. Passenger seat removed to lower the platform.

He gets mileage reimbursement for his travel and per diem allowance for food and lodging. I was too shy to ask him how much he makes of the deal;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I cut a plywood sheet to fit from the back of the hatchback diagonally across to the back of the forward folded passenger seat. I’m 5-7 and while I can fit on it fully stretched out, it’s still pretty cramped. Tho I have camped in it a couple times, I’m looking to improve it. I’ll try removing the passenger seat which will definitely allow for a larger much more comfortable sleeping platform this next go around.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I have also done the plywood platform on the passenger side with the seat removed. I made two support arms with brackets that secured to the front seat mounting points on the floor. The space under the platform, where the passenger seat would otherwise be, is great for storage. Depending on how far forward the platform extends, getting into the glove compartment can be tricky. If it is cool/cold outside overnight, leave the windows cracked a bit to reduce the amount of condensation on the window inner surfaces,

I am 5'8" and 125 pounds and fit pretty well. If I were to do this again, I would make the platform in two pieces with thin metal straps to straddle the "tom mix" bar and gain a bit more vertical space.

·
Super Moderator
7,188 Posts
Some here have deleted the battery and "remodeled" the rear to make a huge improvement in room. By taking out the tom mix bar and IPU box, converting the dc-dc to the Meanwell dc-dc converter and eliminating other IMA stuff, the floor is lowered considerably and a much more comfortable sleeping area can be built. If the idea is to build a comfortable mini camper, that seems the way to go. Since the Insight ICE is so small and efficient, one could also let the engine idle at night for heat, if it got really cold(might need a 6' exhaust standpipe to get the CO away from the car.)

Maybe Ian's solar setup to charge a "camper" deep cycle for lights and a small microwave. Wow, this is getting exciting.

After all, if you are making road trips, the IMA system is worthless anyway;)

·
Super Moderator
7,188 Posts
Tent plus sleeping bag. Have done this many times, much more comfortable.
Yes, more comfortable, but that way also has its disadvantages. There is a lot of setup/breakdown time, it is difficult to set up at night, you can't do it in a Wal-Mart parking lot, and worst - breaking camp in the rain.

Each way has its advantages and disadvantages. I once had a large RV. It is very convenient to just roll into a Wal-Mart and climb into bed;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know a guy who travels widely on short term construction projects. He sleeps much of the time on a plywood platform in his Insight. Passenger seat removed to lower the platform.

He gets mileage reimbursement for his travel and per diem allowance for food and lodging. I was too shy to ask him how much he makes of the deal;)
That guy is frugal and apparently not claustrophobic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tent plus sleeping bag. Have done this many times, much more comfortable.
I agree, a tent on a platform made out of pallets and plywood, and I do that at a Renaissance Fair where I work and leave it up all season. I know the people, which helps. As a female traveling alone in strange places, though, I would probably feel safer in the car, though would add curtains on the inside of my Insight. Or wish for a bigger car. Though most of the time I love the efficiency and convenience of my 1st. gen. Insight.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Here's a link to a thread I made a while back with pics of my hatch camp-bed thing: https://www.insightcentral.net/threads/insight-hatch-camp-and-bed.88634/page-3#post-1448617

The original image links were dead so I re-posted them at the end... I haven't really used this setup much. I think I've experienced things akin to what most people above mention - just driving straight through because sleeping in the car without special accommodations is really uncomfortable, sleeping in the hatch, sleeping in the front seats, setting up a tent at the side of the road. I think the tent thing usually offers the best tradeoff between comfort and convenience, even having this hatch bed to use... But, it's nice to know I can sleep in reasonable comfort should I have to, on some long road trips, having this hatch bed with me...

I've posted a couple images here, there's more at the link:

·
Registered
512 Posts
My drive down to college is either one long day of driving or two short and easy days. I usually stop over at one particular, well lit rest area and sleep the night about halfway down. I usually sleep in the driver's seat, and it definitely isn't all that comfortable. I usually can sleep anywhere, and have not brought myself up from 2 hours to 6 hours of sleep at night in the Insight.

If I didn't have luggage in the back and need my passenger seat in the front, I'd delete the seat and get a long board running from the back of the car to the front. With the IMA deleted there's plenty of room for sleeping.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How does removing the IMA battery help with sleeping room? For me at 6'2" my biggest issue is length not depth (though removing the IMA would allow for more storage while sleeping).

·
Super Moderator
7,188 Posts
How does removing the IMA battery help with sleeping room? For me at 6'2" my biggest issue is length not depth (though removing the IMA would allow for more storage while sleeping).
Just removing the battery doesn't automatically make any more space at all. To gain a bit of vertical space, the tom mix bar can be removed. To gain a bunch of extra space, you would have to delete the entire IMA system, and remodel the back of the car. A couple of folks have done this. It gains several inches of vertical room by getting rid of the IPU box entirely. Here is one of a couple of threads:

·
Registered
226 Posts
OK now you have my attention. The idea of deleting the IM A system is interesting to me.
Seems almost sacrilegious, tho coming from you long time Insighters almost makes it seem OK. In the spirit of simplicity just having the jewel of an insight engine as the sole power plant element, has a very attractive sense of simplicity and elegance. Less weight, less fuss.
I want to know more. Like - does the battery and charging system get beefed up to handle starting, lights, and accessories? What threads should I check.

·
Super Moderator
7,188 Posts
Eric, there are many folks who have deleted the IMA battery and removed it from the car. Obviously it hurts acceleration some on the M/T and apparently makes it terrible on a CVT.

One has to figure out what the ramifications are for state pollution and safety inspections - if any. I don't delete batteries myself, but I could pass the safety inspection and there is no pollution inspection in Southern VA, but it varies widely. Better to be informed about the ramifications. Most folks don't do any upgrades on the 12V system, but it becomes more important to have a good condition 12V battery. The starting will always be on the backup 12V starter. There is a simple bypass wiring to keep the dc-dc converter charging the 12V battery so it isn't complicated at all. There are many threads on bypassing, so do a bit of searching with the search line above:)

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
I have two bypassed Insights. I got them that way. I hate them! Try turning off your IMA, turn on your AC, go up a hill, and see how you like it. I think the car, especially at 5,000+ ft elevation, is so slow as to be dangerous. I can maybe see it as a temporary measure, or as a solution for somebody who can't afford a battery and is desperate for transportation, but if all Insights were this way I'd sell them all and play with something else.

Sam

·
Registered
226 Posts
Rain sucks and Jime, thanks. Actually I don’t really have a problem with the IMA system.
I like the way the car drives with it. I’m sure the engineering of the car is totally integrated and in practice the car greatly suffers the loss of a system. I guess I was temporarily blinded by that green grass on the other side of the fence.
Back to car camping : I’m already working on a wood slab for use with the seat removed.
Just moving my shoulders forward that extra foot or so gives me much more overhead space for rolling over. I’ll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have two bypassed Insights. I got them that way. I hate them! Try turning off your IMA, turn on your AC, go up a hill, and see how you like it. I think the car, especially at 5,000+ ft elevation, is so slow as to be dangerous. I can maybe see it as a temporary measure, or as a solution for somebody who can't afford a battery and is desperate for transportation, but if all Insights were this way I'd sell them all and play with something else.

Sam
I've never driven one without the IMA, but I find the insight to be very slow with the IMA. I am at 5k+ feet elevation as well. I find I have to shift around 3.5-4k but I sti manage 60-80Mpg depending on temp (-F here already)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts