Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "new" Silver 5-speed is doomed to park outside, prey to tree sap, bird and insect deposits, and the like.

What do folks recommend in the way of car covers? Any difficulty fitting the Insight, or do I just get a generic one sized for the length of the car?

Likewise, what about paint protection? Plain ol' wax? Advanced Space-Age Super Polymer Topcoat (tm)?

Thanks!
Adam Wilt
2000 Silver 5-speed, 54.2 lmpg @ 77k but I'm working on it...

·
Registered
473 Posts
adamwilt said:
Likewise, what about paint protection? Plain ol' wax? Advanced Space-Age Super Polymer Topcoat (tm)? [/size]
You're wise to be concerned about that. Silver suffers horribly if left in the sun constantly. I owned a silver Civic several years ago that lived in the driveway and I didn't take care of the paint like I should have. Lost all it's gloss and looked horrible.

I haven't used these products, but in another forum for another vehicle I own a lot of people swear by Zaino products. You can find them on the web at http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

The problem as I see it with Zaino is it involved multiple products applied in steps if you're going to follow their recomendaions. My other car is a medium sized SUV, and I've just never wanted to expend that much effort. With the little Insight, it wouldn't be nearly as bad.
-Don

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I can't comment on how well it protects, as I haven't had it on long - or if it goes bad and turns colors or such, but I never had an easier time with application when I used Rain-X polymer 'wax' stuff. It sure looked nice and went on every so easily. I never used it before, having used regular wax previously.

The main thing was that it was so easy to put on and buff off that I figured I'll be ten times as likely to use it regularly rather than procrastinate because of the bother of traditional was which is more of a pain to apply.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Wax: Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax all the way. It's a completely synthetic polymer wax that will actually set up and almost bond to the paint. It's by far the best looking and longest protecting wax you can get. Plus it looks great too. Here in arizona any natural wax evaporates within a couple of days, if not more quickly, in the summer. This stuff actually lasts about 6 weeks here.

You might want to check out http://www.meguiars.com and http://www.meguiarsonline.com
And if you don't like one of their products that you buy they will refund you your money.

For a car cover I'd recommend spending the extra bucks on a cover craft custom fitted cover (I know amazing, they actually have the Insight pattern). They fit like a glove so it won't move around on the car like a generic cover will. I personally recommend the tan flannel if your not dealing with much rain or anything. I only used mine when there was no chance of rain because the tan flannel is really more of an indoor cover, though my first one did last me three years which is really good for the type of use it got. They do have other different types of covers for different weather conditions, but the tan flannel is the most gentle on your paint.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I bought a Weathershield by Covercraft. I was going to get a Evolution, then I talked myself into a Noah, and then after talking with the covercraft people I went for the weathershield.
It retails pretty high, but I found it from froogle for $188. Quite a bit more than the $22 one you see on ebay, but I wanted the best UV protection for my car. The car is 5 years old and I want it to look as good as it does now in another 5 years. The weathershield has a 4 year warranty as well.
They sent me an extra grommet to fit for the antenna, and I use a "duster" before I put the cover on. It takes me about 3 minutes to dust and put the cover on by myself.
The weathershield is also small compared to the other covers, so it fits in the "trunk" with room to spare and you can wash it at home in your washing machine. You don't have to take it to the big washers at the laundromat.

I looked at covers for a while before I bought one and it sure looks like the covercraft are the best.

good luck with it.
robert

·
Registered
473 Posts
Rick said:
Wax: Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax all the way. It's a completely synthetic polymer wax that will actually set up and almost bond to the paint. It's by far the best looking and longest protecting wax you can get. Plus it looks great too.
I finally got around to applying my first coat of wax, and I would have to second your recomendation. I had heard good things about NXT so I bought a bottle at Wal-Mart and in addition to looking really great, it's the easiest wax to apply and buff off that I've ever used.

I used a Meguiar's foam pad to apply and a couple Micro-fiber towels to remove/buff.

I'm sold!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I like to wax my cars every 3-4 months and used a good polish in between. I've used blackfire with positive results. It goes on and off quite easily by hand. I have not used the NXT so I can't compare.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Want a sample packet of NXT?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts