Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who sells a nice high quality fitted car cover for the 1st Gen? I looked around but didn't find anything:(

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is the one I bought. There are plenty of options, depending on how you are going to use it. It fits nicely, but I use a piece of light rope tied to the grommet on one side and a carabiner on the other end to keep it from blowing off in the wind.

Covercraft

Sam

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
I see that the link doesn't take you to the exact cover. I got the Reflectect model, but there are plenty of other choices.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see that the link doesn't take you to the exact cover. I got the Reflectect model, but there are plenty of other choices.

Sam
Thank you very much. I wasn't having much luck searching, so I appreciate your help:)

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
In 2002, I purchased a Covercraft Dustop cover with 2 mirror pockets. This cover is designed to be used indoors to keep dust and dirt off the paint, but not for outdoor use. It fits like a glove.

For 10 years, I have put on almost every time I have parked in my parking space (parking garage and carport). The mirror pockets are just starting to tear. If I were still in the U.S., I'd probably buy a replacement, but the shipping to Sweden makes it too expensive.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Maybe one that fits a geo metro or swift? They are very similar in size and shape.

I got a custom car cover once, then found out it would scratch the paint if parked out doors and was only good to use inconjunction with a garage of some type. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
No need to do that. The Covercraft ones made for the Insight fit very well.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Covercrafts apparently are no longer made with mirror pockets. At least that is what their site says.

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
The Covercrafts apparently are no longer made with mirror pockets. At least that is what their site says.
The custom cover fits so snugly that without mirror pockets, the mirrors would eventually wear through the cover, I would think. I suppose that could be avoided by folding the mirrors before putting on the cover.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
I didn't see that reference. I just did a sample order on their site and the only choice I had was WITH the mirror pockets.

I would not want a cover without the pockets. I always start with the mirrors, which gets everything else lined up and then sort of holds it in place while you're laying out the rest of it. If there is any breeze it wants to blow and slide all over the place.

Sam

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't see that reference. I just did a sample order on their site and the only choice I had was WITH the mirror pockets.

I would not want a cover without the pockets. I always start with the mirrors, which gets everything else lined up and then sort of holds it in place while you're laying out the rest of it. If there is any breeze it wants to blow and slide all over the place.

Sam
Yes, I see what you mean. The advertizing material says no pockets, but if you place the order, you can only get the cover with pockets. I placed the order.

Thank you for your help. Hoping it fits my new Citrus nicely:)

jime

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Jim, I just remembered something else. I replaced my antenna with a little 2 or 3 inch one that I got cheap on eBay. I didn't have to poke a hole in the cover and I don't have to fit it over the antenna every time. The short antenna fits fine under the cover. It didn't seem to affect radio reception.

Sam

Yes, I see what you mean. The advertizing material says no pockets, but if you place the order, you can only get the cover with pockets. I placed the order.

Thank you for your help. Hoping it fits my new Citrus nicely:)

jime

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
I didn't have to poke a hole in the cover and I don't have to fit it over the antenna every time.
Neither did I. I simply unscrew my OEM antenna and throw it in the back of the car when I put on my car cover and screw it back on when I remove my cover. It takes only a few seconds, so there's no need to poke an antenna hole in the car cover.

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
I've done the "remove-the-antenna" thing with my Miata, and I don't really like it. I cover the car every day at work, so the short antenna works better for me. It I stored it for longer periods it would be less of a problem.

Sam

·
Administrator
11,175 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
I bought a Covercraft cover for my 2001. It fits like a glove and has those mirror pockets. What I did not take into account was the rain! So I am passing it on to one of our stellar members when we get together for the NorCal meetup. I mistakenly ordered one from the guy in SoCal and it has no pockets and I find their customer service is just plain awful, bordering on snotty. I will probably return the new waterproof cover because it has no pockets and replace it with one from Covercraft. Their product is a better one and there customer service is way better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts