Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LOCATED IN THE ANN ARBOR, MICHIGAN AREA

I am having a weird problem with my 2000 Honda insight that the Honda Dealer can not fix unless they see the problem first hand. The problem I am having is that it is so periodic (bi monthly or less) that the problem can not be detected before it corrects itself after a hour or day or 2 days.

Here is a summary of the lights that show up on the dash when the problem occurs:

engine light on (OK for long time due to catalytic converter issue) and IMA light on

than brake and battery lights turn on

than clock & radio dim and then stop working and electrical goes down

than eps, abs lights turn on

than car stalls, steering gets stiff, car does not start. Stop for a while, push car a bit with engine off. Car starts sometimes fully for months and other times starts but dies after a couple minutes. (once had car in ignition and pushed car and car started... weird)

waited 2 days after car would not start- stalled for a moment after trying restart (couple seconds)- steering stiff, light low on dash. and than within a minute or so all fully powered, IMA starts working again (it shouldn't). no light indicators on dash indicating problems. than after 5 or so minutes engine light on. The IMA should not be working since I was told parts of the IMA failed. Autoassist braking starts working after minutes of driving.

The battery charged very quickly to full power after driving for about 10 minutes. From 3 notches and than jumps to full.

HELP! The Honda dealer can not do anything unless they see the problem 1st hand but it seems to autocorrect itself.

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
1. Check your grounds.
2. Make sure your 12V battery is in good condition and fully charged.
3. Check your grounds.
4. Pull the codes and report them here.
5. Check your grounds.
6. If your IMA battery is disabled explain the method you used.

Oh. In case I forgot. Check your grounds.

Sam

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
That sounds very much like the 12v battery dying. The IMA is "working" again because the car lost power and reset. The IMA light will come on again within a short while of driving it.
All those issues like power steering being lost, all dash lights coming on and the dash dimming, are usually a result of no 12v power and/or bad ground straps.

I don't know why it would happen so sporadically, though. Have you had your 12v checked or replaced yet?

·
Premium Member
10,346 Posts
Make sure when the 12V battery is checked, it is LOAD tested.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ground 12v

The battery has been checked and all the grounds (might) have been checked. The 12v battery is new and fully charged according to the towing service and the dealer. I am not an expert in autos so checking diagnostics will be a problem. i did take my car to the dealer and when the car is working they found no issues. i called another dealer and they told me they would do the same diagnostics and would probably not find anything. The only way thy can help (the dealers/mechanics) is to see the problem first hand when it is happening :-(

can someone check the grounds for me? recommendations? check others things?

the battery might or not have been LOAD tested by the dealer. tHe battery was replaced by AAA (is there a particular method used to replacing batteries in 2000 insights that is different than a "regular" auto?)

·
Registered
946 Posts
That sounds very much like the 12v battery dying. The IMA is "working" again because the car lost power and reset. The IMA light will come on again within a short while of driving it.
All those issues like power steering being lost, all dash lights coming on and the dash dimming, are usually a result of no 12v power and/or bad ground straps.

I don't know why it would happen so sporadically, though. Have you had your 12v checked or replaced yet?
Ditto, with IMA light on, the 12v battery will die.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts