Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I've read over a lot of what is here in the forum and I'm learning quite a bit. I am so grateful this forum exists and my thanks to everyone who contributes. I've yet to see my exact situation with my 2000 Insight 5-speed. My car is at the dealer's and they are acting "dumb," so here goes...
1) twice in the last month, upon trying to start my car, the car has failed to start. no lights, no turnover, no sounds, nothing. both times the car had been sitting for at least 6 hours on level ground. I did not leave the interior lights, headlights, stereo or hazards on.
2) when the car was jumpstarted the battery charge gauge was empty.
3) I have never had the good fortune of seeing my battery charge gauge full. I say never, but that's not entirely true. In the almost 2 years I've owned this car I can count on one hand how many times I've seen it fully charged. My gauge consistently reads at 4 to 5 bars and often times 3 bars, rarely will I even see it half full and when I do, I get so excited my heart skips a beat. Within the first year of owning, I had the regular car battery replaced and the electric battery replaced, yet this is still a problem.
4) I've never seen what has been referred to on this site as a "forced charge" after a sudden fall in battery level. My battery level is always low so I'm assuming my battery has never recalibrated itself.
5) I get really crappy, I mean really awful, gas mileage which I have been dealing with in another section of the forum.

I was very excited to read about the service bulletin that recommended replacing the BCM and MCM if they were not particular serial numbers; perhaps there is something there.
Everytime I've taken my car into the dealer (I'm on my second service department now) I feel I know more about this car than they do; and I have to say, it's a little disconcerting that I make suggestions, they follow them and do nothing and know nothing more. I feel like I'm the only one making any effort to get to the bottom of the mystery that is my car. I'm a Honda girl, loyal, die-hard. I've always believed they make the best and most reliable cars. I previously owned a 1990 Honda Civic Hatchback DX until sadly, someone totaled it in the middle of the night. THAT car was a powerhouse. I miss the reliability of a Honda. The service departments are no help, I gaze enviously at the Toyota Prius and I'm quickly joining the ranks of some of the disgruntled owners I've read on this site that say they will never buy a Honda again. Please help! :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Greetings CK,
What dealer has your car? I have had decent luck at Kolbe in the valley part of LA. As for forced charges, mine will start the charging cycle if the car is much below 70%. If your dealer can't grasp that this is what the car is supposed to do it is time for Dealer # 3. I recal from your other thread that you drive LA traffic, that is going to KILL your MPG. I can get 75 or more on the freeways in decent traffic. As soon as I hit stop and go it plummets down to the mid 50s. Not only that but that type of driving kills the Bat. When you get your car back take it out in a Long freeway drive in the evening. That type of drive should leave you with a full Bat. I will be in LA till the 1st then out of town till the 10th. I'm going to try and meet up with CalPod to clean my EGR valve, perhaps you could meet up with us.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
KNOwtalet wrote:
I'm going to try and meet up with CalPod to clean my EGR valve, perhaps you could meet up with us.
Let me know when, e-mail me or call me.

Both of you, check your e-mail.

G

·
0 Posts
I had the same a couple of weeks ago, it was the 12v battery.

All sorted now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
scott robinson in torrance services all of honda america here in torrance. they seem knowledgeable. i have not had any major problems yet. bought used, during purchase, ima battery replaced, then immediately after purchase, scott robinson replaced the cat due to another check engine light. both under warrantee. they did my first oil change. i supplied the mobil1, the did the service and didn't touch my tire pressure. good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Mark Elvin said:
I had the same a couple of weeks ago, it was the 12v battery.

All sorted now.
Mark - which 12V battery did you buy?

G

·
0 Posts
The Honda dealer did it as a warranty job, std Honda one.

I had the forethought when I bought the car to tell the dealer to add an extra 3 years to the std warranty or I wouldn't buy the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
re: 12V battery

Hey guys. Thanks for the responses. The 12V battery was replaced last May when I was having battery issues. I assume it was a standard Honda issue as it was done at the dealer. When the car was jump started this time, the diagnostic run on the 12V battery said the charge was "marginal"; however, this has improved in the week the dealer has had the car. Question: Why would a battery be "marginal" at one year?
He also contacted American Honda and they seemed to think a faulty O2 sensor had something to do with the non-start? I checked and the code was a different code than the false alarm/ check engine code, or so the tech said. Does this sound feasible? That a faulty sensor could lead to a drained battery and non-start? Also, as my IMA battery module with BCM and MCM was also replaced last May, I have the BCM and MCM serial codes on my receipt. Both numbers are different than those listed in the service bulletin #04028, which recommends replacing if the numbers do not correspond. When I spoke to the tech at Honda of Hollywood about this, he refused to replace the BCM and MCM based solely on the service bulletin as he has not received the appropriate "codes" notifying him there is something wrong. Is this guy jerking me around or what? He is knowledgable and very nice but there is definitely a limit to what he is willing to do. Any comments welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
forgot to mention....

Also, in the nearly 2 years I've owned the car, I've only put 15k on it. Far below the average 12-15k per year for the LA area.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
CKeating said:
<snip>
Within the first year of owning, I had the regular car battery replaced and the electric battery replaced, yet this is still a problem.
<snip>
Sounds like your service department needs to read the bulletin. _WHEN_ the IMA batteries (electric batteries :?: )are replaced the updated MCM & BCM are to be replaced. As a customer paying for a repair its your money and your choice (optional). When Honda is doing the repair under warranty the bulletin states, Do-it :!: It could be some paperwork error on the dealers part. I'd first double check with them. Then have the numbers on the parts in question verified. If their the old variety and your dealer refuses to correct their error then contact Honda customer relations. Be polite but firm, your dealer needs a bit of additional Insight "education". ;)

As to your relatively low MPG my read is that its the connection from the driver's seat to the gas pedal. ;) Drive any other car under the same conditions using the same style and you'd see a comparable _percentage_ loss of its capabilities. Its just that since its ability is so much lower the MPG loss as a percentage will also be less.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Greetings CK,
I'm up in Sacramento this week and this morning my car won't start. it was a bit hard starting the last couple of days but today its dead. I'm at a honda dealer up here and they are working on it now. I will update later.
Terry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guys,
It happened to me this afternoon (01 5spd man). It started ok in the morning. Drove the car and went home. I washed the car, and then when I wanted to garage it, I could not start the engine. I couldnt even use the remote to unlock/lock the car. Nothings worked! Even the beam and auto power window all dead!

I jumpstarted the car and the battery gauge completely empty. It forced recharged until about 3-4 bars. Actually, I have just replaced the 12v battery last month. As soon as I switched the engine off, and tried to start it again, still couldnt start and I have to jump started the car, again!

I left the light switch on in the garage accidently and an hour later I found out the lights ON! Since then, I could use the remote to unlock the car, and the engine could start without hickcups, but the battery gauge went empty again and IMA started the forced rechange. That was very strange but I still asked Honda to check this. They will come to tow the car tomorrow morning to fix it.

The problem is, Insight is very rare in Australia (already discountinued in 04 as it did not sell as well as civic hybrid). I doubt the Honda Service Centre know how to fix it (like usually). But, I am glad this forum exist!

You guys have any update on this issue, please post it to the forum.

Thanks heaps

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Like in eariler replies the 12v battery is the first place to start checking :!:

And depending on your closeness to the ocean all the related 12v battery wires and ground points can become corroded and act similar to a 12v battery failure. There is an extensive post by JackMPG ( :?: ) in Modifications and Technical issues ( :?: ) on this specific topic.

Try the forum search feature :!:

HTH! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 12v battery is quite new, only 1 month old. I called a road side assist mechanics this afternoon to check it and he said it is still new. He did not know insight very well so he recommended me to check with Honda.
I live around 6km way from the ocean, I will take your advice to get battery wires and ground points to be checked when the car in service.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Loose or corroded battery connection? If everything's dead I'd check for that first assuming the new battery itself checks out ok.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My car is all ok now, I got it back on the same day. I was the corroded battery connector indeed! Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Whoops! I thought they have solved my problem. I could not start the car again yesterday. I sent it back to Honda service today to be re-checked. Since I have been complaining so much about the car (could not started, IMA battery gauge always dropped), they decided to replace both 12v and 144v batteries and do full service on the car. It may take few days before I could get my car back. I do not know if this will solve all my problems, I will update later.
Btw, if they replace the main 144v battery, I wonder if this could solve the battery reset and the force charging issues that been posted soo many in this forum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts