Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 5spd w/75k My check engine light came on. Honda replaced the computer. Then Honda and
I replaced the 02 sensor.
Now the assist kicks in much more frequently, the batteries never charge all
the way, and mileage has gone from 65 to 47. Ideas??

John F.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
That drop sounds excessive. I would take it back to the shop and have them double check their work.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't know the solution, but you are not the first that has posted this mpg drop after new computer. :?:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Have you checked the air pressure in your tires as the dealer may have dropped the psi. This would not account for such a drastic drop but it may be a place to start.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Have they performed the proper reset procedure, in the correct sequence, for the BCM?

This problem was first mentioned in IC 5 or 6 years ago, the cars were leaving the service bay with the computer "lost in space". If so, take it back and insist they refer to the workshop manual

malcolm

·
Registered
938 Posts
It is possible that the new ecm just needs to "relearn". After a reset, it defaults back to base programing-after some driving items like timing etc will change and the mpg will improve.

·
3,641 Posts
Same problem here. New ECM seems to bring on a more agressive assist, and a more sluggish recharge. I also cannot get more than 19 bars on my SOC battery indicator.

One thing I will try later on this afternoon is a manual recal, by disconnecting the battery. I will be driving about 200 mailes afterward, so I will report my observations afterwards.

·
3,641 Posts
Same problem here. New ECM seems to bring on a more agressive assist, and a more sluggish recharge. I also cannot get more than 19 bars on my SOC battery indicator.

One thing I will try later on this afternoon is a manual recal, by disconnecting the battery. I will be driving about 200 mailes afterward, so I will report my observations afterwards.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I have a similar problem. I took the car in after receiving a notice from Honda for the ECM replacement. Our mileage on our 2001 5sp Insight was about 55mpg average (down from 60mpg a year ago). I had them adjust the valves at the same time. Car now is @ 51mpg over the ~70 miles since the service. We're seeing same charging situation as described above (e.g. never fully charges, aggressive use of IMA). Overall, the car feels slower, struggles when starting from a dead stop, etc.

I haven't seen anyone post a resolution/cause for this yet. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

·
Administrator
10,773 Posts
Rear Brakes binding. Dealers will almost always over tighten them in my experince. The slightest brake drag will affect the mpg. Rear wheels should spin very freely for several revolutions when car is jacked up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts