Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't seem to be able to find one spot on the 'net where there are the rules for all 50 states re. carpool lanes. When I lived in CA I know hybrids were allowed to go in HOV lanes with one person, does anyone know the rules in CT, NY, MD, PA, NJ, etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
We're not waiting anymore!
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... E0IOJ1.DTL

Just a few more weeks for the president to sign the bill, then go get your decal (before all those Prius owners snap them up!) and we're California Dreaming!

Actually, I'm expecting this to be bad for our image, as many people will now be quite jealous of hybrid owners, and will blame us for any slow down that ever occurs in HOV lanes. Any thoughts people? 8)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well, if you fear any animosity then I'd not apply my stick directly to the car and make something where you could just place it in the rear half window and remove it when your not driving so that way your not "one of those."

Here in Arizona they passed a bill to let hybrids have alternative fuel registration, which was a special license plate rather than a sticker and ~95% discount on registration. It was of course pending federal approval which was denied, but they issued some plates illegally for a few weeks there (I still see you out there once in a while, I'm turning you all in) and I tried to get one only to get a big NO. But I had it all planned out how I'd have a quick disconnect for my plate to avoid any car damage while parked. The reason there is a general dislike for alternative fuel vehicles here is because prior to all this the state passed a good intentioned tax credit for alternative fuel vehicles that went terribly wrong. People were getting $20K rebates to buy Escalades with a half gallon propane tank, which would run mainly on gasoline and still get the HOV lane access. A friend with an electric truck had it keyed while it was parked plugged in to a charging station (they didn't get any rebates on it).

Now I doubt you'd have anything near that level of trouble, but it's a thought. But I agree, don't do 55 down the HOV lane.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know the HOV rules for us in:

MA, NY, NJ, MD, PA, VT, NH, CT???
Just wondering if there is one place where all the hybrid HOV laws are.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't get why hybrids would be allowed in the car pool lanes over anybody else. I thought the major point of car pool lanes was to reduce traffic congestion, just like using mass transit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Resist said:
I don't get why hybrids would be allowed in the car pool lanes over anybody else. I thought the major point of car pool lanes was to reduce traffic congestion, just like using mass transit.
Resist, I always love to read your post. You are a true pessimist through and through. I don't understand why you would even ask a question like this. The "Big Guy" in Washington and other states want people like us (Hybrid Drivers) to be rewarded for taking advantage of the benefits of Hybrids. This is one way they can do that. Plus this is even more incentive for others to go out and buy a Hybrid vehicle. Although in California only 75,000 decals will be issued at first, so it shouldn't impact the HOV lanes to much, for now.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I understand what you are saying but if they really wanted more people to drive Hybrids (which I don't believe), then they wouldn't reduce and eliminate the tax deductions associated with hybrids. Personally I think we should all get this deduction every year of ownership, even if you buy a used Hybrid.

Car pool lanes were designed with one thing in mind, to reduce traffic congestion.

Resistance is futile

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm just excited that I'll get to use the car pool lane. As soon as any CA Insighters hear about when we can get the decal from the DMV, please post it here!

I can't wait to clog up the car pool lane!
:twisted:
:twisted:
:wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Glitches in CA's Hybrids in HOV lane law

There are 2 glitches in the transportaion bill's passage that are not consistent with the intent of CA's passed law.

1. 5-speed Insights are ULEV and not SULEV. The feds want to limit the stickers to SULEV only, so 5 speeds may not qualify. This needs to be worked out between the feds and the state. I own a 5 sp & am not happy about this.

2. While CA's law doesn't accept hybrid SUVs because of their not so great mpgs, the feds are giving a limited # of tax credits to auto manufacturer so Toyota and Honda will use theirs up by Feb and 17 mpg GM 'hybrid' Silverado trucks will keep on rolling.

·
Registered
231 Posts
surfseeker7 said:
Actually, I'm expecting this to be bad for our image, as many people will now be quite jealous of hybrid owners, and will blame us for any slow down that ever occurs in HOV lanes. Any thoughts people? 8)
I don't know about you, but on my commute along 280 north of San Jose, the carpool lane is 95% empty. It's rediculous. The other 3 lanes are packed, and the carpool lane is just wasted space. I would love to see a bunch of hybrids in that lane.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's too bad my commute is 90% on the 5 Freeway up to LA, with no carpool lane :(

It will be nice on the way home if I take the 405 down to orange county.. a bit more miles, but carpool!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's a link to a news article about this subject.
http://www.whittierdailynews.com/Storie ... 02,00.html
"Hybrids heading to car-pool lanes"
...both this one, and the San Francisco Chronicle piece I posted before specifically mention the Insight, the Civic Hybrid and the Prius as the only cars eligible under the new law. But this Associated Press story mentions "....hybrids will be allowed in the lanes by year's end."

Ugh. I don't want to wait that long. And I don't want it to be held up because Insights aren't SULEV. Talk about the slow wheels of government! Well, anyway, even if we have to wait until New Year's, I'm still excited to get this privledge. And I don't believe for a second it will clog up the HOV lanes.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Not so sure I agree.

The theory behind the HOV lanes is that by having more people in the car, the MPG/person is higher. If a typical car gets 30 MPG, then with two people it's getting 60 MPG/person, comparable to an Insight with one passenger. Which is fine.

But what about the questionably hybrid cars that GM is proposing? Or the Accord? Five years from now there could be a whole horde of "hybrids" out there.

The HOV lanes should be changed to High MPG per Person lanes. Perhaps the rule should be that you have to demonstrate 50 MPG/person to drive in such lanes. That would allow 12 MPG SUVs with four people, or 25 MPG cars with two people, or Insights with one person...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
IIRC the Federal law says 45mpg minimum for HOV lane access, so that makes the Prius the lowest they allow in. So the Accord, Escape, Highlander, RX400H are all out most likely. I know one of the states that allows hybrids in the HOV lane recently rejected application for the Accord to be let in so it's good the line has been drawn somewhere.

G

·
0 Posts
I just checked the California DMV website, and they are not currently accepting any hybrid applications for diamond lane passes - only ZEV or pure alternative fuel vehicles.

I think they should base it on the amount of nasty emissions total - not as a percentage of total emissions. Then even hybrid giant vehicles won't be able to use the lane (unless they have the required numbers of passengers).

But I am looking forward to cruising past everyone in the 101 diamond lane while in lean burn mode...going 75 mph and getting 75 mpg!! :D

1 - 20 of 59 Posts