Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum. I bought my 2001 Insight in July with 93K miles. It now has 98k. Up until now everything has been fine the car feels great and I've been averaging ~60mpg. I tried buying a new one but it was impossible to find, luckily i didn't find one, because sonn after i realized that the '05 and '06 models do not qualify for the clean air sticker. Anyway i took the risk with a used one (as you always do with anything used).

So early this week the CEL came on then it went off the next day. Two days later it came back on and has not gone off. I took it to the dealer and they read the codes from the CPU (P0420 and P1164). They said i needed to replace the CAT and LAF sensor.

After doing some research on this forum it looks like many of you have had to replace the CAT already at approximately the same mileage. So I figure it is about the same time to replace it on my Insight given that it almost has 100k.

The dealer quoted me $1600 (parts and labor), which is what some you have been paying CAT replacements only. I ended buying the CAT and sensor from theHondaPartsStore.com for $820 ($400 cheaper than the dealer). And I also shopped around for cheaper labor cost at other dealers ($100 cheaper). So I will end up spending ~$1K for this problem.

Just though I would share this info with you. It is possible to get much better price for parts and labor if you shop around and make the dealers compete on pricing.

P.S. Sorry for the long post... first time posting... next time should be shorter. BTW thanks for all the insightful posting from all.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Welcome to the site and thanks for the information. I'm glad to hear that you found the site useful and that your Insight is working out other than the catalytic converter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts