Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I read for an hour about the first cat going out on these G1 cars....and in the FAQ/inspection guide...several places on these forums folks say it's a $1200 or more expense, but others say one can be had for $400 or so. Ebay has a part that supposedly is a direct for for the OEM 1st cat (right off engine) for $250 or so. So I'm confused. Looking at buying a car tomorrow with the 1st cat deleted and I want to factor in repair cost in the even that I restore the car to all its glory and/or can't take the smell if there is one.

But it's confusing with so much conflicting info here.

Please advise, I wondered. if some of the info from the past might not be relevant anymore now that it's 2020 maybe there are new options.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
In general options for the Gen1 never increase :(

I'm pretty sure that the after market catalytics have been discussed several times, but I don't have specific references. Do a search using the search line at the top of the page. You may need to use the advanced search button.

Non-OEM probably won't work like the very special design Honda cat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In general options for the Gen1 never increase :(

I'm pretty sure that the after market catalytics have been discussed several times, but I don't have specific references. Do a search using the search line at the top of the page. You may need to use the advanced search button.

Non-OEM probably won't work like the very special design Honda cat.
Thanks. Yes I did do advanced search but like I said in the intro there are a zillion threads and reading them reveals conflicting opinions. Some say OEM only, others say this or that work. My hope in re-asking about this in June 2020 is that someone who's replaced a cat recently (not in 2008, like on the threads I found) has some current part numbers/links to stuff that works other than the super expensive stock one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For reference here's one for $246.96 shipped that supposedly fits G1 Insights:

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
Many considerations when it comes to CATs depends on the state in which you live and the emissions laws there.

OE CATs are very expensive and there are several different options depending on the year of the Insight and the transmission type, MT or CVT.

OE CATs for MT 2000-01 for the pair are approximately $2000.00, list price. Honda sells these as a kit with both converters together. I don’t remember off the top of my head if they sell them separately. Typically if the first CAT fails it will clog the second cat. The chances of cleaning the second CAT are not good.

OE CATs for MT 2002-06 for the pair from Honda are approximately $4000.00, list price.

I’m not sure on the ones for CVTs.

California has very strict emissions rules and laws. As far as I know, there is no company that makes AM CATs that are legal for sale in California. Companies that sell AM CATs that are not legal here will not ship them to a California address. There are about 15 other states that have adopted California’s emissions laws, like New York. There a some states who have no smog/emissions laws.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts