Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well at around 80,000 Km my cat was replaced on my 2001 Insight, I remeber the bill being just shy of 2 grand CND (Covered under warrenty of course) Now, at 147,000 km the engine light came on again and guess what? Needs a new one again..... Luckily I have Extended warrenty on this Black Hole money pit of a car, Anyone else have to replace their cat twice??? I use Nothing but Sunoco Ultra 94, or Shel 91 Octance Optimax....

Stephen
Disgruntled Insight Owner

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Somehow you seem to Getshocked :twisted: about repairs for your car,

I have owned mine for almost 5 years, and the only thing I have replaced was the 12v battery a new set of tires and the drive belt, that is all after 140K miles, when you get a check engine light and it gives you a code that does not mean the part needs to be replaced, it could be other reasons.

What is Disgruntled?

·
Registered
466 Posts
pissed-off! :evil:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Getshocked.ca said:
Now, at 147,000 km the engine light came on again and guess what? Needs a new one again..... Luckily I have Extended warrenty on this Black Hole money pit of a car
Stephen
Where did you get an extended warranty that covers you up to 147,000 miles?

·
Registered
466 Posts
147,000 KILOMETERS, not miles. that works out to 91341.57 miles.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sorry. I saw 147,000 and assumed it was miles. Now I see the "km" after 147,000 :oops:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Getshocked.ca said:
Ok well at around 80,000 Km my cat was replaced on my 2001 Insight, I remeber the bill being just shy of 2 grand CND (Covered under warrenty of course) Now, at 147,000 km the engine light came on again and guess what? Needs a new one again..... Luckily I have Extended warrenty on this Black Hole money pit of a car, Anyone else have to replace their cat twice???
I thought you had sold the car? I had my cat replaced at around 100K (KM). This is not unusual for the Insight. My personal opinion is that Honda screwed up on the design of the three way cat, and extended lean burn operation burns them out.

What makes this worse is that Honda only sells the cats in a "kit", which contains both (or all three for cars after 20001) cats.

I use Nothing but Sunoco Ultra 94, or Shel 91 Octance Optimax....
Read your owners manual. Specifies 87 or 89 octane. You're just burning through money by using a higher grade. And it may have effected the life of the cat.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was Looking to sell it untill I was told by the dealership I would be lucky to get 6 Grand CND for it if I traded it in, they told me that they have seen them sit even at autions for next to nothing

Do you really think the High end gas would cause the cats to burn out?? I remeber reading a post that there is an additive that is *NOT* in those 2 grades but are in all other canadian blends and that it is not good for the car. Also, at 50 MPG i dont mind putting in the high end stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My personal opinion is you would have the exact opposite problem. I think because higher octane fuel ignites at a higher temp you would have exhaust deposits clog the cat instead. The insight has a low compression, low performance engine that doesn't require the higher octane fuel but, that's just my $.02 Good luck and keep us filled in.

Todd

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,896 Posts
cat gone

What? 10.8 or 10.5 compression ratio isn't called "low compression".

With the "High compression" in the Insights, they compensate with a very flexible timeing, making it easier to run low octane fuel.

With the OBD tool activated, I've seen the timeing range go from 15 degrees ATDC to 32 BTDC.

"Low Performance".............Learn to drive!

My nickels worth.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
In theory, burning the high-end gas should not be a problem for the cats. The car should advance timing as necessary to get a complete burn, and it should run better for it. In practgice, I have seen higher octane fuel form massive carbon deposits in low compression vehicles that are not desinged for it. These days, the Insight is "low" compression.

I have seen ignition advance hit 40 degrees in cold weather, but never in warm. It's nearly always 30 degrees and more in lean burn in my car. The Insight has an interesting ignition curve. :)

Since your lifetime mileage is only 50MPG, I can't imagine that you ever spend time in lean burn, so burning out the cats that way is probably not going to happen. Does your car smell like rotten eggs when you accellerate?

(and how can someone manage to get only 50 MPG in an Insight?!?! I take my car on RX-7 "rallies" all the time, and still manage to get ~65 MPG)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts