Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've been told my 2004 Insight needs the lower Catalytic Converter replaced. The cheapest OEM seems to be from Majestic Honda, but that is still over $1300. The aftermarket options are very limited, and from what I've read don't fit right. The car has 187,000 miles which makes me hesitate on spending the money. Other than that, it's a great car and in very good condition so I'm back and forth. I just don't understand why Honda charges so much for a part for a car that's 16 years old. The part costs more than the car is worth. I just wanted some opinions from other members. I know I will take a huge loss trading it in, but I doubt I can get much for it privately either. Your advice is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been keeping my eyes open for a used one but most of the part out cars are high mileage so Id probably be in the same situation soon enough. Rainsux, is that a direct bolt on? I've read mixed reviews on the aftermarket replacement. The flanges not matching, longevity, etc. It's a hell of a lot cheaper though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've also read someone saying the Cats are different on certain years of the first Gen. I don't know if this is true or applies to the CVT version. Mine is a manual.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should say recently. I've read old posts where some people were happy with it and some were not. If it fits properly and keeps the check engine off it's worth a shot.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
No, I haven't bought one. But I KNOW that the 2004 is different from the 2000, and they ARE different part numbers. Since you seem skeptical I recommend calling Eastern Catalytic and see what they have to say. You can return it if it doesn't fit.

But back to the beginning. Who told you it is needed. What problem are you trying to fix? CEL code? Have you tried putting the spacer under the #2 O2 sensor? You might not even need one.

Sam

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car has been rattling for months now. Took the heat shield off and it didn't make a difference. Couldn't take the noise anymore and brought it to a Honda dealer who told me the internal part of the Cat is falling apart. The check engine light has been coming on and off for a while which they said is being caused by the same thing. I can't stand the rattling. I've seen people remove the internals and use the defouler and that is another option.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honda told me the Cat was $2100 and $500 for the labor. I laughed out loud at those numbers. They made no attempt to shop around and $500 for a job that should take them 20 minutes?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't want to see a good car go to waste, but I'm not going to dump a ton of money into it at this point either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Forgive me since I am not familiar with Honda CAT internals, but would it not be possible to unbolt the cat, get some needle nose pliers out and extract the crumbling honeycomb material? Bolt back up and no more rattling? Approximate cost $0.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it's possible to do that. I would need to get a spacer/defouler for the O2 sensor to keep the check engine light off though. I also don't own jack stands and don't feel safe working under the car without them. I really need to invest in some because it's something I can do myself if I can get the bolts off. Just wanted some feedback on options before I proceed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Exhaust bolts can weld themselves on with rust. If you're going to try my suggestion, you'd be wise to soak liberally with PB Blaster /Kroil or equivalent repeatedly over several days before commencing work. Could you drive the car up on ramps to do the work? Parking brake on, in gear and rear wheels chocked? Might just give you enough clearance, buy with 14" wheels, maybe not.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't own ramps either. I don't normally work on my car. Not the most mechanically inclined I must admit but sometimes I make an attempt. As long as I can get the bolts off I feel It's within my capability.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A by the book mechanic won't likely perform that operation since it might be construed as altering emissions equipment which, as I understand it may be frowned upon in certain quarters.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I never used to work on my own cars and am not super mechanically inclined. Started working on my Volvo about 15 years ago thanks to matthewsvolvosite, a car forum with an ethos incredibly similar to this one.

If you have the space and time, take the plunge. It is very satisfying and you can save truckloads of cash. Start with something simple like an air filter change. Work up from there.

First time I used a plumbing torch to loosen a frozen bolt I was sweating bullets. Now, I think nothing of reaching for the "blue point wrench" - with appropriate safety precautions of course.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate the support. I changed my muffler on my old Jeep. I didn't need any jacks since it was lifted. Just took a long time to get off because of rust but I got it done. It felt great doing it myself even though it was a pain. Labor fees are outrageous which is why I'm tempted to try myself again. I just have to decide whether to buy the aftermarket replacement or the spacer option. One is a bit more labor than the other but cheaper.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts