Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just get an aftermarket cat for $100 or $200 or just straight pipe it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Aftermarket cats are pretty cheap compared to OEM so depending on what kind of welding skills you have doing that might be cheaper than straight piping it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I will probably give the aftermarket a try. It's cheap and should be a bolt on replacement. If there is an issue I can return it. Past threads made me a bit unsure about it though. Some like it, some don't. I know I read something about the flange being different so we'll see. I definitely won't be doing any welding.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Pelle's a Swedish name. Pratar du Svenska?
I'm American. I grew up playing hockey and Pelle Lindbergh was a goalie for the Flyers that I'm a huge fan of. Unfortunately, he died in a car accident in 1985.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't discard the OEM. If the aftermarket doesn't work out, you can try my suggestion, but more importantly, CATs contain precious metals and you might get good coin for it from a scrapper. I got $70 for a bad Volvo CAT at one point. I'm betting that CAT was bigger and more precious metals laden than an Insight CAT, but the Insight CAT should still have some value.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I will probably give the aftermarket a try. It's cheap and should be a bolt on replacement. If there is an issue I can return it. Past threads made me a bit unsure about it though. Some like it, some don't. I know I read something about the flange being different so we'll see. I definitely won't be doing any welding.
The welds on something like a Davico are definitely visible. In the northern states it's rust more than anything that can destroy a cat so I opted to coat mine with some rustproof paint before installing in hopes that it helps some.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I don't own ramps either. I don't normally work on my car. Not the most mechanically inclined I must admit but sometimes I make an attempt. As long as I can get the bolts off I feel It's within my capability.
I made ramps for my Insight using 2" x 6" boards. Make each ramp using four boards, one 3 feet long, one 2 feet long and the top board 18" long. You also need to have a tire stopping 2" x 6" short board sticking up vertically at the end so you don't drive off the ramps. Don't make the vertical boars too tall or they may snag on the strakes in front of the tires.

Before you nail the ramps together use a saw to cut one end of each of the three ramp boards at a 45° angle to make it easier to drive onto the ramps. I used stout nails to hold the boards together and long wood screws for the vertical boards.

Also, my 2005 MT Insight is using a cat from a 2001 CVT. The bung that mounts the O2 sensor is offset just enough so the cable to the mating connector was rather tight. I was able to bend the metal connector mount just enough so the cable has some slack in it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I wanted to say thank you for all your responses, suggestions, and advice. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Exhaust bolts can weld themselves on with rust. If you're going to try my suggestion, you'd be wise to soak liberally with PB Blaster /Kroil or equivalent repeatedly over several days before commencing work. Could you drive the car up on ramps to do the work? Parking brake on, in gear and rear wheels chocked? Might just give you enough clearance, buy with 14" wheels, maybe not.
Ramps work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Those precious metals...I would gut it and use a defouler. Don’t get rid of the car because of all that. I was quoted 300 installed for my cat including purchase price. For a hundo you can’t come away feeling ripped off. I would do it myself though. Get your hands dirty.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
Agree....Post #31

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If I can get nuts off I will try the defouler first. The nuts look like their fused to the flange after 16 years so I don't think it will be easy. Does anyone know which specific defouler I need? I see people have to drill them out to fit. Is there one for our cars that doesn't require the drilling?

·
Registered
558 Posts
My issue with the cat wasn't that it's failed but rather that it rusted apart, broke apart at the manifold, otherwise I would have probably tried a follower myself. My bolts were rusted on pretty bad, so I spent a day spraying them with PB Blaster every couple of hours and then the next day with quite a bit of difficulty they came out. The hardware is cheap, so if it's rusty, and you're taking it out anyway, might as well replace the bolts while you're at it.

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
If I can get nuts off I will try the defouler first. The nuts look like their fused to the flange after 16 years so I don't think it will be easy. Does anyone know which specific defouler I need? I see people have to drill them out to fit. Is there one for our cars that doesn't require the drilling?
Scott will sell you a set, pre-drilled, for a very reasonable price.

Sam

·
Registered
373 Posts
The L shaped ones work, at least what worked with mine. If you decide to take off the bolts spray really well and heat is your friend. I cut n drilled out the rusty bolts and replaced with these. My exhaust was solid but donut gasket was missing. I’ll post defouler I used bolt on. Disclaimer, I have a cvt so may be somewhat different.

·
Registered
373 Posts

This fit really well. But yours is underneath right? So three sensors?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The "blue point wrench" (a/k/a plumber's torch) is likely your friend in this application. Just be careful and go slowly. Dremel with cut off wheel could come in handy too since you will undoubtedly be replacing all hardware. None of it will be reusable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Scott will sell you a set, pre-drilled, for a very reasonable price.

Sam
[/QUOT

This fit really well. But yours is underneath right? So three sensors?

Thank you for those links. Yes, mine is the lower one. As far as the number of sensors, I'm not sure. I thought there was just one plugged into it. This is all new to me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
If using a torch is involved, which I think it probably will need to be, that is going to be out of my comfort zone. Not only do I not have one, but it's not something I shouldn't attempt yet. It may be no big deal for most but I have zero experience and don't normally work on my car.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts