Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just google or look on YouTube about how to clean your cat with seafoam, did it to my Lexus is300, works great, engine light hasn’t come on since.

Roger

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought aftermarket cats and oxygen sensors from Rock Auto for my 2001 5 speed. My local neighborhood shop installed the parts. Everything worked out well, except my lean burn was seriously degraded, almost non-functional. I had heard aftermarket oxygen sensors were problematic. On a hunch I then soaked my original Honda oxygen sensors in Braggs unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar for several days, cleaned and air dried, then reinstalled these originals. Got my lean burn back. FYI I have had excellent results with Rock Auto parts and service. Several thousand miles later everything is working well.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Insight CVT
31 Posts
You might want to consider getting a bolt/nut extractor kit as a last resort. I had an issue today pulling a nut off the EGR valve. I soaked it for three days with PB Blaster with no luck. I tried using a torch and the bolt would not give, but it did eventually round the corners. I picked up a metric bolt/nut extractor, put it on my 1/2 inch breaker bar and it came off right away without further issue. I had already picked up a new nut set, so life was good.

The EGR valve and EGR plate were fairly clean, but since they were off I did a complete cleaning job on them...

I'm considering pulling the exhaust system apart to look at it, maybe in the future.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi everyone. I've been told my 2004 Insight needs the lower Catalytic Converter replaced. The cheapest OEM seems to be from Majestic Honda, but that is still over $1300. The aftermarket options are very limited, and from what I've read don't fit right. The car has 187,000 miles which makes me hesitate on spending the money. Other than that, it's a great car and in very good condition so I'm back and forth. I just don't understand why Honda charges so much for a part for a car that's 16 years old. The part costs more than the car is worth. I just wanted some opinions from other members. I know I will take a huge loss trading it in, but I doubt I can get much for it privately either. Your advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Were you happy with the product? Any issues? Insightful1 was happy with his.
Hey,

I am late to this thread and surprised I didn't see it before because I was asking the same questions only on the first (top) cat not the secondary one as you are, just 3 weeks ago. Anyhow I am curious as to which route you went. I replaced my 1st cat with a Davico cat which has been a good fix for the money. I think the secondary ones can be had for cheap as well, maybe $250 or so from what I remember. Gutting the secondary one isn't as easy as gutting the first one though, but it can be done. That said I will say from experience that my car came with a gutted first cat and the smell is pretty bad. I'd rather spend $250 on an aftermarket cat than deal with that smell.

Anyhow I'm wondering what ever happened in your situation...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used an Easton or eastern from Rock Auto. I am having trouble finding parts now. May try the cat cleaner thing from amazon for $40. Looking for drivers side headlight lens. Ordered one from Honda Parts Now but they eventually said they didn’t have one. Have refused to refund me the full amount.
In fact only refunded $23.99 of apx $269
Charge. Avoid them.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,666 Posts
If you used a credit card, file complaint with the CC company.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, I did. I have been with this particular. Card company since I graduated from college. They have been very good to me.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts