Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted this on another forum and I know we have a number of Honda Green Oil users here.

Electrical & Lights - Engine Oil Additives In a Jazz Hybrd

Just a quick cautionary advise to all members running low viscosity oil. Today we are running oil as thin from 0w-20 to 0w-30 and a still today a few people who still think adding additional engine additives to the engine oil is a good idea. Their reasoning behind this choice is a old fashioned belief such additives will fortify the oil and make their engines run better.

I have never been an advocate of engine oil additives,if you adding additives that means you are using the wrong specification of oil.

I have just come off a phone with a 2012 Honda Jazz Hybrid owners who has been running his car with the correct grade oil..BUT had a major issue with engine additive. He had the car serviced at the dealership using Genuine Honda Hybrid green oil but added a a famous American company (three alphabets ) oil treatment additive to the engine oil when he got back home.

The following day the whole family goes for a drive and the car stopped within 20 minutes of leaving his house with the oil light on, the owner quickly turned off the engine and called the AA man to recover his car.

At the dealership they ran all the test to find oil level perfect and oil pressure low !! on and on draining the oil it was found to be in a thick jelly state.

Luckily no engine damage has occurred by quick actions of the car owner, the oil has been drained and then flushed out and has been replaced with the green oil only.

Please take note of this warning.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
A lot of older Americans believe in Lucas Oil Treatment and add it to their vehicles. I wouldnt do it unless the engine was knocking or burning oil.

Now Frame sells oil filters for high mileage vehicles that has additives built in that is time released. :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
Snake Oils

These snake oils are to be avoided, I know of one instance where the oil warning light came on and the oil filter was fouind to be totally blocked within 20 miles of an oil and filter change plus an additive, the blockage was not due to release of sludge, something in the additive caused the pores of the oil filter material to close, oil flow was zero down stream of the filter when the engine was partially stripped down by us. I think the additive was was an S*P product

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Is there some reason everyone seems to be avoiding saying "STP"

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I think its a Culture thing? I dont use anything by STP. At one time I was a Richard Petty fan who use to be sponsored by STP.

Other than the techron fuel system cleaner when I had a diesel I would use the additive in the gray bottle. I dont use anything other than water wetter on my current vehicles.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'll get my oil changed in 1000 miles.
I'll ask for a sample again, to see what Green Oil looks like after 12.000 miles of very moderate driving.
I will most likely have that tested together with my sample of the last oil change.

The only measureable difference is better economy on cold starts.
Also the engine seems to run more smoothly, but that would be hard to prove.

No additives used, of course.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Ive been using napa synthetic oil. It looks a tad cleaner at 40% oil life when I change it. I still get the same extra noises from the engine as to why I change it at 40%. Plus fuel economy seems to start dropping at that point. A co worker of mines has an 08 civic. He too changed at 40% due to engine noises and drop in mpg. He claims 45 mpg with a 1.8l engine. :confused:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was under the impression that oil additives dated back to the days when most oils were natural, and cars tended to leak when new. Certainly wouldn't use an additive with a fully synthetic oil. I think the last additive I used was Slick 50 in a very old Mk 2 Golf, back in the days when you could adjust your idle speed and mixture with a flat head screwdriver!

I still use fuel injector cleaner about once every three months... likely does nothing though, but it gives me peace of mind.

EDIT: Just did a Google, you can still buy Slick 50... havn't seen that since I had a 32" waist.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I think in the 90s there was a lot of snake oil being sold like slick 50 and stuff, but it wasnt long before people saw it did not work. They still have the stuff on the shelves and the label is changed to avoid legal action.

As a mechanic we used something to thicken up the oil for cars that burned oil and had a cloud coming out the tailpipe. It came in a can and you popped the top like a can of fruit and poured it in.

I had a geo metro I drove 300 miles a day for a while. Its recommended oil change was 3000 miles. I also burned a qt every tank or 300 miles. I just kept filling the engine with oil when I got gas. After 6 months I had a lot of rattles and strange noises. Changed the oil and it was black, lumpy and just nasty looking. Put in new oil and filter, car had no unusual noises.

I too use a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner. I cant tell if it works or not. I have visited performance sites and see the benefits of injector upgrades and modifications and having them professionally cleaned and tested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts