Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I'm kind of new to this but was wondering IF a CD Player, THAT PLAYS MP3 FILES, can be purchased and installed over the counterin my 1991 Insight? I have seen a few people talk about this, but have NOT found out if there's actually a player out there.

I was at CarToys here in Dallas, Texas, and they told me that one COULD NOT BE INSTALLED with this car. Is this true? They were telling me that the way it was 'wired' prohibited me from installing one that could play MP3 files.

Please advise me if anyone has any advice.

Thanks.
Ron
[email protected]

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Insight is not listed at Crutchfield for 1991 (or 99) but it is listed for 2002. They list MANY players from $169 to $2000 that they say will fit a 2002. There is no reason you can't put an MP3 player in your car. Even if the 2002 is different you can always do a custom install. I've got a portable walkman style mp3 player that could go in any car with a cassette player. Installing an mp3 player should be no different from a regular cd player as far as the car is concerned. I'm guessing the guy at CarToys didn't find your car listed and just made up an off the wall reason for the omission.

Go to http://www.crutchfield.com/ Click on "Create Your Vehicle Page" to enter car info.

·
Registered
76 Posts
WxMan - I'll take it for granted you just miss typed the year ' 1991 ' - you really meant 2001 :? .... anyways to your question ........ yes, you can install a AM/FM Radio with a CD that has the capability to play MP3's - I have one in my 2000, no problem. There are many links in this forum about just that subject. Try a search and you have boo-koo hits ........

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully, I can find one.

Yea, thanks Mitch.

I don't know what I was talking about when I said a '91....obviously, I meant a 2001.

I hope to find a make and a model for such a cd player.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind ???

What make and model do you have? Where did you get it?
And did you put it in yourself?

Thanks for any response.

Ron

·
Registered
226 Posts
For a decent player at a resonable price and it will fit in very easily look at the Eclipse model CD3403 unit it has full mp3 as well as cd/rw capability and has great outputs if you wish to upgrade your system further or just connect speakers through the unit. One of the decent features of Eclipse products is their theft deterant program which if it is installed will provide a new unit if the original is stolen during first year and they do honor this as I had a unit replaced once. Also if the unit is installed by a authorized dealer it has a true 3 year warrenty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very good.

That sounds great!

Where can I get this at? I would imagine at a Honda Dealership...right?

I would guess that places like CarToys, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc...would NOT carry this model.

Thanks, again.

Ron

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a kenwood KDC-MPV6022 (available at many retail outlets and online) and it works great. Don't forget the wiring harness (with a power antenna lead), the Insight takes the same one as the 00-02 Civic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts