Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light of our 2001 Insight came on several days ago and didn't reset after tightening the gas cap. A mechanic friend with the appropriate device downloaded the following stored codes- P-1166, P-1167 and P-1456. I believe that the P-1456 was from times in the past when the gas cap was not screwed on tight enough.

My NYS inspection runs out at the end of the month and the car can not pass with the "check engine light" illuminated so I need to get this straightened out ASAP.

I'm wondering if the problem might still be covered by Honda as the car only has 52,000 miles at this time.

Any informed replies would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Hugh

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Hugh-

1167 is the Oxygen Sensor (A/F) heater. I don't have my book handy, but I think 1166 is closely related.

Some description is here:

P1167, P1162, two P0420, Help!

Sounds like your primary O2 sensor is bad.

If you search the forum for Oxygen Sensor Warranty (Search for All terms) you will find 6 posts. Sounds like the sensor is warrantied for 50k miles. Sounds like it is at least worth a friendly discussion with the service rep or the area manager.

Good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
A mechanic friend with the appropriate device downloaded the following stored codes- P-1166, P-1167 and P-1456. I believe that the P-1456 was from times in the past when the gas cap was not screwed on tight enough.
Hugh,

The P1456 is the gas cap, and the P1166 and P1167 are electrical problems with the LAF sensor (the upper O/2 sensor). It could be as simple as it being unplugged or the wire being damaged. It can be tested easily. Email me privately if you need testing instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hugh,

The P1456 is the gas cap, and the P1166 and P1167 are electrical problems with the LAF sensor (the upper O/2 sensor). It could be as simple as it being unplugged or the wire being damaged. It can be tested easily. Email me privately if you need testing instructions.
Just read your entry on InsightCentral to Hugh about the LAF O2 sensor. you said that testing the part is easy and that you have procedure.
Could you send me (or post) the instructions for testing?
Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.
My 2002 Insight CVT is throwing codes P1166 and P1167

thank you
johnnygo

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
9 year old thread. Your question is to a 6 year old post.

Interesting your '02 is setting a code for '00 & '01. In this link to AbCaRed00's OBD trouble code spreadsheet you'll find the 1166 & 1167. Both suggest faulty primary O2 sensor.

On my '01 cvt, I replaced the primary sensor with a 'Walker' brand I found on Amazon. Ran me about $130. Verify the number of wires on your sensor and the replacement you're going to use (mine was a 4 wire sensor). Very likely your sensor needs replaced.

After replacement, it usually takes a few "driving cycles" for the code to completely clear and have "emissions readiness" set. If you're due for an emissions inspection, complete the driving cycles before going in for the test.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,925 Posts
A good thing to do is "CLEAR" the trouble codes after any sensor replacement. Watch for the blinking "Engine" symbol after first turning on the key. If the "Engine" symbol goes out after about 30 sec. It is "EMISSIONS READY" for test.
It will take several "varied" driving cycles to stop blinking.

HTH
Willie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts