Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another kind of pointless thread, as I'm not really looking for answers. Just let me know your thoughts I guess.

I was trying to back out of my driveway on Thursday night and stalled 3 times in a row, requiring me to restart with the key (it didn't jump back to life when I put in in first). On the third time the check engine light came on.

My mom took it to one of the Honda dealers around here, I went with her when she picked it up. The first thing the guy said was there is a problem with the IMA system, even though the IMA light did not come on (uh oh, he doesn't know what he's talking about, big surprise). He said we should replace the O2 sensor, but he made it sound like they didn't know what was wrong and they were going to replace the O2 sensor so they could see if anything else was wrong.

He also didn't know that the O2 sensor would be covered under the IMA/emissions warranty (it is right??). We asked if it would be under warranty and he said no.
I wasn't buying it and said "it should be, the warranty was extended to 10 years 150k miles, and even if it wasn't it's still 8 years 80k miles" (which I'm still under, '00 w/ 36k).
"Powertrain?"
"No, the IMA system, exhaust, emissions"

The CEL hasn't come back on yet, so I'm thinking I probably just got it all confused by stalling it.
Also, I did a search here and found a thread about EGR valve problems sending off false O2 sensor codes, which is good because before this happened I suspected we've got EGR problems (engine stuttering with light pedal pressure) and we're going to clean it today and see if it helps. I'm hoping it will make the car easier for me to drive too.

When my mom first dropped Fuel Phobic off the guy who was "helping" her asked if we had any problems before the light came on and my mom told him "the car stumbles when not accelerating;" his response was "you mean like right now?" (the car was turned off and just sitting there... oh boy!)

Unfortunately we didn't get what the codes were, but based on the EGR thing I'm guessing it might have been p1163. It was going to be $80 just to check the codes, unless if they found something wrong, and we wanted to do the repair, the code reading would be free. We told him we would think about it and call on Monday, but somehow he was under the impression we were going to do the repair and gave us the car with out asking us to pay so we didn't want to stick around too long, or else he might realize.

If the CEL comes back on I think we'll take it to the other dealer in our area. Which, if I had had the car, I probably would have done in the first place (they are the dealer our Insight was serviced by before becoming our Insight).

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
IMAhybrid said:
Another kind of pointless thread, as I'm not really looking for answers. Just let me know your thoughts I guess.
First it seems your very confused on the warranty issues:

1) 3/36 bumper to bumper against manufacturing defects or materials.

2) Emissions performance varies by state of origin and point of garaging.

IIRC 3/36, 5/50 or 8/80 mixed and matched by _specific_ component and State of residence.

Your local Honda dealer doesn't want to get "caught" denying valid warranty, but if you want to double check ask to see the written emissions performance warranty for your state, make and model. There would have been a supplimental booklet of such with the owners manual. It will list the specifics as to which component and its duration. IIRC its not a blanket coverage for all emissions devices.

3) 8/80 IMA warranty covered all the IMA components listed.

4) 10/150K _GOODWILL_ IMA warranty extension _only_ covers the IMA battery module and its control computers as specified (see the sticky post in General Discussion forum)

<whew>

Now that we're on common ground... :?: ... a P1163 should _not_ be taken lightly :!: Primary oxygen sensor - slow response. AFAIK & IMO _any_ EGR issue can _not_ be related to triggering this code. (but read on ;) )

You will ultimately damage the exhaust CATalytic converter with a "bad" O2 sensor, well over a thousand dollars in repairs :!: :shock: The code is consistant with your symptoms, but not a guarantee that its has "failed" or that other faults are contributing to similar concurrent symptoms (yup, the EGR ;) ). By my read and with the consequences of waiting too long I'd get the O2 sensor replaced ASAP :!: (along with any other overdue maintenance as specified in the owners manual) (see the sticky in the Mod & Tech forum for the online version if you've lost yours).

Communication is much more than what is said literally. The question asked of your Insight's problem, "Is it doing it now :?: " And your posted adversarial response will not get you what you need in any two-way communication on any topic.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Insightful Trekker said:
... a P1163 should _not_ be taken lightly :!: Primary oxygen sensor - slow response. AFAIK & IMO _any_ EGR issue can _not_ be related to triggering this code.
The thread I was referring to was this one, posted by you actually.

Thanks for straightening me out about the warranty, I forgot the emissions system was covered seperately, and only in "clean states," ooops. Now I feel stupid.

Do you really think the O2 sensor should be replaced? Even if the check engine light doesn't come back on?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Well I did address the potential overlap in _symptoms_ of bucking and jerking in my post above. ;) But if your truly getting an O2 sensor code then your risking CAT damage. Go price that part :!: :shock:

There have been credible posts in the past by another member with consequent CAT damage 2x (ouch) _and_ from a bad but not coding O2 sensor.

Its your car, choice and risk.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When the CEL comes back on, as they usually do ;) you can get the code yourself if you're somewhat technically handy.

Somewhere in this forum is the process for getting the error code without a reader. The car will blink the code for you. Once you find the "blink code" you have to match it with the actual error code. I believe that somewhere in this forum there is a page that matches the two, or you can purchase a service manual for the care which lists them.

Once you know what the real problem is, you can decide if you want to tackle it yourself or take it to the dealer. I used the above to identify that my primary O2 sensor had failed. I purchased the part from a surprised part's guy, and replaced it myself in about 5 minutes.

Good luck,
Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts