Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I might find a center armrest for a 2005 Insight? It would make it more comfortable to drive. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree... Husco is great... love mine! Agree about the cup holders too... but you do get a free cup when you buy one!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Bobb Bayse:

___You might want to consider the Husco as it is strongly recommend and is not that expensive either. Best Insight accessory I have ever purchased in fact thanks to the guys here and over in Yahoo’s Honda-Hybrid group.

http://www.husco.com/cgi-bin/ePages4.fi ... &2D1012566

___As an edit, sorry about the duplicate ... Damn this group of guys are fast :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1irzepct][email protected][/email:1irzepct]

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just installed the JC Whitney console armrest. I also wanted someplace to store my sunglasses. I bought the gray one and although it isn't an exact match to the interior gray, it is very close. I shortened the mounts by 1" and drilled the hole in the mount as far back as I could so it would push the console forward. Currently it is just attached with the original screws for the stock console. It has a bolt through the front part of the mount with a plastic tube on it so it rests on the stock console. (No holes drilled in the car) I can still put things in the little tray underneath it , as the back part of it is still exposed. It cost $40, about half the price of the Husco. It makes the seat back adjustment tight, but I have no problem adjusting them.
Robert

·
Registered
652 Posts
Robert,
Did the armrest install in my daughters insight. Your tips worked great although I think I did the threaded rod differently. I face the curved legs to the rear as you recommended but put the threaded rod in so it passes under the emergency brake. I used an aluminum sleve to act as a spacer inside the insight plastic console. As a result I put 2 holes in the factory console bottom edge to pass the rod through. I don't think they are that noticeable even if I removed the armrest as they are below the seat level. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sounds good Rick,
I sure do like having the storage capacity of that armrest, and it is in a perfect spot for me.
Glad you made it back from across the ocean, unscathed I hope.
robert

·
Registered
366 Posts
JC Whitney console armrest for me as well. Have used it for years. I actually feel this is the best upgrade I ever did for my Insight. Cruise control comes in 2nd.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Guys, I thought the Husco product was no longer available. Last time I contacted them they told me the armrest was no longer being produced and they knew of none left for sale anywhere. Are you saying an acceptable substitute is available from J.C. Whitney now?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Having a Husco myself maybe I can clairify your confusion a bit.

IMO there is no compairson. ;) (except the price)

The Husco has been discontinued and IIRC all stock depleted. The JC Whitney version is lower cost with correspondingly lower sturdyness / quality. But can your elbow tell the difference :?: ;) (your pocketbook would have). Its not a matter of choice anymore. If you want to add a center arm rest AFAIK its the only one available that has been "tested" by members here. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
JC Whitney has two versions. Gray ZX135862T and Black ZX135858A.
You need to turn the mount around backwards and I cut about an inch off the bottom of the mount to lower it.
I used the original holes of the stock console to mount it at the rear and used an all thread bolt with a plastic tube over it to rest on the front of the console. No extra holes in the stock console and it tilts back to get under it easily.
I keep a lot of stuff in it, and although I liked Rick Reese's Husco because it would slide fwd and back, I prefer the storage of the Whitney one.
They are $39.99 still.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I will consider ordering a couple now. The sliding feature of the Husco does seems like a great plus though. You might think with the newest resurgence in hybrids, someone would be goaded into reviving a high quality armrest solution for the Insight. Heck, I hear there are WAY more Insights in Japan. Don't you think there might be a source for a high-quality unit on the international market?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Way more in Japan

Heck, I hear there are WAY more Insights in Japan. Don't you think there might be a source for a high-quality unit on the international market?[/quote]

And speaking of that does anyone know how many Insights total were produced for world wide sale?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts