Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I park my Insight outside. Because of this and a nearby tree, I am dealing with bird doody. While I wasn't as concerned with my 20-year-old Civic that the Insight replaced, Bird doody on my shiny, new white Insight gets to me. I'm taking the drastic step of getting rid of the tree which is overgrown and really needs to go. As well, I've ordered ceramic coating for my Insight - 9HMRFIX. I'll be cleaning and applying it tomorrow. I'm curious to know if anyone is doing anything special relating to paint protection. From what I've read, most of these ceramic coatings are similar and last anywhere from six months to a year. Some even boast of paint chip protection, although I can't really see that. Application is straightforward and should take an hour or two. If all goes well, bird poop should come off much easier!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All done! Along with the paint, I did the glass and headlight lenses as well. If anyone does this, let me be known that a little product goers a LONG way. It took about an hour. It needs to be kept dry for 12 hours and not washed for a week after application. If all goes well, the bird doody will come off much easier, and I won't need to wash it as often. Will update in a month or so.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4mbhp7d9d2k321/2018-09-30%2016.14.16.jpg?dl=0

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got a 'clear bra' installed last week. It covers the front bumper and about 50% of the hood, 25% of the side fenders, as well as the all of the driver and passenger mirrors. This was the brand: Search Coverage Options - XPEL and it has a ten year warranty, but I'm sure that doesn't cover every scenario.

So far so good, I got it more to avoid chipping from road debris. I drive around 60 miles a day highway and don't want this one to look like my last car. Attached a picture you may be able to see the faint line but it is otherwise invisible.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
All done! Along with the paint, I did the glass and headlight lenses as well. If anyone does this, let me be known that a little product goers a LONG way. It took about an hour. It needs to be kept dry for 12 hours and not washed for a week after application. If all goes well, the bird doody will come off much easier, and I won't need to wash it as often. Will update in a month or so.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4mbhp7d9d2k321/2018-09-30%2016.14.16.jpg?dl=0
I will check back in to see what you think after a bit, I may have to do this as well. I get bird turd on my car at work too often, as the only 'safe' spots from the people who don't care about door dings is by some larger trees. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Poo Bird Poop What do I need to keep in my car

Tales of Poo
Let's not treat this like a delicate subject.
There is nothing delicate about acidic rock filled bird poop.

There are important steps in the "Battle of Poo".

* Having a sacrificial protectant on your paint.
* Time (get to it as soon as you see it).
* Having the right tools (microfiber towel, quick detailer or waterless wash and maybe water) available in your car at all times.
*Not rubbing the rocks into the surface.

This video is by Larry Kosilla of AMMO NYC, it really is worth watching and listening to his discussion about Poo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I'm a little over two weeks into having a ceramic coating on my Insight. I washed it this past weekend and found everything came off much easier than previously - even the road grime on the rocker panels.

I visited the animal shelter yesterday, and, when I came back out to the car, it looked like a pterodactyl with really bad diarrhea took a massive dump on my hood. I drove home and, much to my surprise, was able to simply hose everything off.

All-in-all, I'd say it was worth the twenty bucks and an hour of time to apply. We'll see how it holds up over time. I'm expecting to need to reapply every six months based on online reviews.

:)

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Hello Hasarad,

What brand of coating did you apply?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
I'll save you hundreds of dollars by cutting through all the marketing bullshit here: Ceramic coatings are a waste of money.

"ceramic" coatings are just buzzwords for sealants, and sealants are awesome but don't have to be pricey.

Here is what you should do, which won't cost you much and protect the **** out of your paint:

1. Wash car. Wash it really well, get out all the tree sap, bug guts, bird **** stains, contaminants, etc.

2. If washing it didn't work, clay bar it. Point is you want it clean.

3. Apply Klasse AIO. $20 for a bottle that will last a decade.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Klasse-ALL-IN-ONE-Polish-10-oz/dp/B00CZD7QOS

Klasse is a SEALANT, not a wax. It chemically bonds to the paint, forming a protective barrier. Idk if you've ever waxed and seen your car a few weeks later on especially hot days, but the wax will literally melt/slowly move downwards on the finish; it just does not last. Klasse goes on a lot like Rain-X, because rain-x is also a sealant. You apply some to a damp cloth, work it into a panel, let it haze up, then use a microfiber to buff off.

A few notes: You can apply as many layers as you want. I suggest at least 3 layers. You can also just purchase regular KLASSE (not AIO), same price, almost the same. The Klasse AIO has a bit of polish in it to make it even shinier. For the ultimate protection, I would do 2-3 coats of AIO, and 2-3 coats of Klasse.

You can even wax on top of that, if you want.

This is what I do to all my cars; I don't even use wax anymore, it's ****ing pointless and a waste of time.

Btw, a klasse treatment will generally last about a year if left outside, if garage, it will last 2-3 years or more, depending on use.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hello Hasarad,

What brand of coating did you apply?

Thanks
I used 9HMRFIX. It's, like, twenty bucks for a bottle and will do the car two times.

I'm not spending a fortune. My main issue was the bird doody. I've since cut down the tree the birds roosted in which has provided better results in remedying the problem.

I'll see over time how it holds up. So far, it's been a decent sacrificial coating to protect the paint. It was easy to apply, so I wouldn't mind having to do it a couple times a year if need be.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Thanks. I'm in the middle of old style "Turtle Wax" on my wife's car, did mine yesterday and my arms are getting tired!

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Waste of time. Klasse is much easier to apply and doesn't leave white **** all over the edges. Also protects way longer. I threw all my wax away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What happens if it accidentally gets on plastic, headlights, chrome trim or glass?

I once got armor all of the clear plastic dash gage cover and had to look at discoloration for 10 years. My fault but I was pissed at myself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What happens if it accidentally gets on plastic, headlights, chrome trim or glass?

I once got armor all of the clear plastic dash gage cover and had to look at discoloration for 10 years. My fault but I was pissed at myself.
I did not have a problem with that. It's not a spray, so you have better control. That said, you can use it in just about any hard surface - even windows. The longer you leave it to set, the more effort it will take at buffing it off. I'd assume that any foul-ups would eventually weather away since the coating lasts about six months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts